Hibernating

PenguinFan

Is it bad to bother the tort during his hibernation to take him outside on a nice sunny day for a little. . I no I don't like bothered while I'm trying to sleep. .lol

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Try no to disturb your tortoise durin its hibernation. Let him hibernate in peace so he's ready in spring.

Disrupting him like this could prevent him from continuing to hibernate and may potentially be dangerous.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If he's actually hibernating (he's not moving about, is he?) he won't want (or need) sun. Disturbing him in the middle of a few month long slumber (like peasinapod said!) could be dangerous! :confused: The extra heat and light might bother him.

PenguinFan

While he is hibernating will he still move from time to time? He will be in his tunnel for hours then dig a hole in the corner and stay there the night then go back to his tunnel for a day. Does this sound like hibernating. . Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to figure this out. . Thank you. .

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
While he is hibernating will he still move from time to time? He will be in his tunnel for hours then dig a hole in the corner and stay there the night then go back to his tunnel for a day. Does this sound like hibernating. . Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to figure this out. . Thank you. .
No. When a tort is hibernating, they fall asleep completely, no movement! They may stay like that until they warm up in spring or summer... doesn't sound like he's hibernating. Have you seen him eat or go to the bathroom? Certain precautions have to taken to help a tort hibernate safely!

PenguinFan

He still is not eating. . He has gone to the bath 2 times in the last 2 weeks (aprox).. I still have been bothering him every other day for a soaking. .. maybe it's me bothering him and not allowing him to go into that deep sleep. . I'm just worried I'm going to hurt him. . I'm trying to do what's best but am not sure I'm doing it correctly.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He still is not eating. . He has gone to the bath 2 times in the last 2 weeks (aprox).. I still have been bothering him every other day for a soaking. .. maybe it's me bothering him and not allowing him to go into that deep sleep. . I'm just worried I'm going to hurt him. . I'm trying to do what's best but am not sure I'm doing it correctly.
Don't soak him or wake him up, he won't hibernate if he keeps getting bothered! :(
If he hasn't pooped or eaten, he might be trying to hibernate himself! What temp is he? Here's a thing-http://russiantortoise.net/hibernation_journey.htm

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A brumating species of tortoise will generally rest during the season, however, they do move about a touch (like turning from time to time, spread their legs out and snooze, pull the legs in and those types of body movements----not waking for the sake of waking, but more like just sleep moving....

Where are you brumating the tortoise? Is he in his regular enclosure? If so, are you running lights and heat as usual?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK. .. Temp about 87° during day and 68°at night. .

To hibernate russians need a constant low temperature of 40-45. The temps you listed are just normal operating temps for a russian. He may be eating less because temps are cooler than they were and the days are shorter, but they are NOT hibernating with daily highs in the 80s and nights in the high 60's.

You must be in AZ, yes?

PenguinFan

Yes.. I haven't changed anything as far as lighting and heating. . He is dog those little moves like you said. . I haven't soaked him in 5 days. . Should I not soak him and just leave him alone.