Hibernation for desert tortoise. Do I put substrate into his enclosure?

GMCNEILL

Location (City and/or State)
SPARKS
Do I use substrate in my desert tortoises enclosure during hibernation?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I use substrate in my desert tortoises enclosure during hibernation?
You don't hibernate them in an enclosure, but yes they need substrate in the brumation box.

Give this a read for the details:

GMCNEILL

SPARKS
You don't hibernate them in an enclosure, but yes they need substrate in the brumation box.

Give this a read for the details:
Thank you. He's in a box . I have blankets under and around him..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So do I cover him with substrate?
I would not cover the tortoise with substrate, but I would put substrate in the box so that the tortoise can bury itself if it wants to.

The temperature needs to stay a consistent 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit to successfully brumate a DT over winter. Be very careful with the warm weather we are having now and the cold weather coming soon. The thread I linked will help.

GMCNEILL

SPARKS
I would not cover the tortoise with substrate, but I would put substrate in the box so that the tortoise can bury itself if it wants to.

The temperature needs to stay a consistent 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit to successfully brumate a DT over winter. Be very careful with the warm weather we are having now and the cold weather coming soon. The thread I linked will help.
thank you so much.

Thank you so much.