Hibernation odd

Bump1744

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff
hi I have a Herman tortoise and in September she went into hibernation but was wide awake by October and scratching to get out. The problem I have now is that she definitely wants to hibernate now she is staying inside her table won’t eat and just wants to sleep.what do I do

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Bump1744 and welcome to the forum.

Please post pics of your tort as well as his enclosure. And read the care sheets.

Keep asking questions whenever you need help, and good luck.

Bump1744

Cardiff
This is her and her bed

Attachments

• E1B0EFB7-50FB-4717-B94A-0DDD6901387D.jpeg
    E1B0EFB7-50FB-4717-B94A-0DDD6901387D.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi I have a Herman tortoise and in September she went into hibernation but was wide awake by October and scratching to get out. The problem I have now is that she definitely wants to hibernate now she is staying inside her table won’t eat and just wants to sleep.what do I do
Your tortoise did not go into hibernation in an indoor table at room temps in September. It sensed the oncoming cold weather outside and shortening days and was preparing to go into brumation. If your house wasn't down around 5-6C, your tortoise was not brumating for that month.

It should not be trying to brumate in spring and this indicates a problem.

The following is constructive criticism so you can fix what is wrong and hopefully save your tortoise.

1. The enclosure is way too small.
2. Wrong substrate.
3. Wrong heat lamp.
4. I can't tell what type of UV tube that is, but your tortoise appears to be suffering from MBD, so its not the right one and its not mounted in the right place.
5. Wrong food and water bowls for a tortoise.

I suspect you have a serious problem going on, related to one or more of the above, and that is why your tortoise is being unseasonably lethargic. Most of the tortoise care advice given on the internet and in pet shops is all wrong. A large percentage of vets and breeders still have the wrong info too, so this is not your fault. I'm not trying to bum you out, but if we don't talk about what is wrong, we can't make it right and get your tortoise up and healthy.

Here is the correct care and housing info: