Hibernation or sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
PLEASE HEEEELP!!! I'm SUPER freaked out! My tortoise has been under her log for a little over a week now and I'm starting to get really freaked out about it... Should I be? She doesn't eat very much (maybe not at all...) and I don't think she's had a bowel movement in a while. Whenever I pick her up, she seems dazed and sleepy. Also, she only opens one eye (the unopened one is not swollen or anything). I'm not sure if she is hibernating or sick, because she shoes not have a runny nose or any external signs of illness...:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is a Russian, correct? What are your temps? And what kind of lighting/heating are you using? Your not using a coil bulb are you? If so, get rid of it, they cause eye problems.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Yes, this is a Russian. The temp on the hot side is 103 F and the cool side is 77 F. For bulbs, I am using a reptisun 100 UVB bulb and a zilla black night heat 150 watt bulb. I also have a medium heating pad in the hot side of her terrarrium to help regulate the temp.

I can always post pics if you want

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It has only been a week? Have you ever hibernated your Russian? It's a little late for brumating (hibernation). My Russian was sleeping for 2-4 days at a time for almost 2 months. It was weird because I hadn't changed a thing! I've owned my guy for a year and a half now and haven't changed much. But, the last 2 weeks he's come out of it and is awake at the same time everyday and trucks around his enclosure. Hopefully someone can help you more.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
It has only been about a week (maybe a day or two more), but I've only had her for two months and the weird part is that I think she wakes up at night to eat her food, then goes back to sleep. I'm not sure about the time period of around 8:00 to 3:15 or 12:30 (it depends), because I have school. But, on weekends, she usually just stays under her log. I know it's a little too late for hibernation, but is it still possible?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You have a hatchling or juvenile russian, correct? Not an adult.

I don't think hibernating is your issue.

Since the behavior is off you need to check your husbandry to find the cause. I only house Russian's outside so others that keep them indoors can help you better evaluate your set up.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian (and other temperate climate species) do not brumate (hibernate) when the temperatures are at activtiy levels and higher, especially with normal light duration and intensity present. They will however aestivate when it is too hot in order to escape the heat and typical overall dryness that goes with the heat.
Also keep in mind that Russian tortoises are a true burrowing species. Most will instinctively bury themselves if not given suitable hiding areas or substrate to burrow in. A tortoise burying itself should not be confused with burrowing, they are two different results. Either way, it is not at all unusual for them to spend long periods underground.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you offer daily soaks? If you have only had the tort for a couple of months....how was she housed with prior owner?

May we see a pic of her face and of her front/back legs?

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
She was housed with I think either some baby sulcatas or some baby leopards... I can't really remember in about a 1' by 1 1/2' tank and fed fresh veggies. Here is a link to a different thread with pics of her soaking: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70346.html and I'll put some new pics on this thread in a little while... Sorry I can't find my phone

Here are the pics:
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367465587.792763.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367465610.070038.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367465625.082842.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.