Hibernation question.

Ernestralph

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
My herman tortoise is three years old and never been hibernated. I have only had him for 4 months. Should I wait until next year to hibernate him?
Thanks.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
You will get a lot of varied opinions on hibernation but me personally, I’ve never hibernated mine. I’d say don’t do it until you are confident and comfortable doing it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My herman tortoise is three years old and never been hibernated. I have only had him for 4 months. Should I wait until next year to hibernate him?
Thanks.
As long as he's healthy and eating good all summer, I see no reason not to. Just be sure to do it right. Indoors in a fridge under controlled and monitored conditions.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
As long as he's healthy and eating good all summer, I see no reason not to. Just be sure to do it right. Indoors in a fridge under controlled and monitored conditions.
I remember when I first heard that method, I thought they were joking:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I remember when I first heard that method, I thought they were joking:D
You are not alone my friend.

I think the reason so many people are afraid of hibernation is because of the horror stories from people who just leave the tortoises outside, in a foreign land, subject to the cruel whims of Mother Nature. I know of so many tortoises that have died that way. Meanwhile, I've never lost a reptile of any species when hibernating indoors under correct controlled conditions. Lizards, snakes and tortoises alike.

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
So will it harm him if I leave it until next year? I want to get a good routine established first really.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not hibernating is not harmful 2 the tortoise. As long as it has warmth & UV light & food it can go without hibernating. I also usually recommend not hydrating the very first year you have it when you don't know what type of care it had previously

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
You are not alone my friend.

I think the reason so many people are afraid of hibernation is because of the horror stories from people who just leave the tortoises outside, in a foreign land, subject to the cruel whims of Mother Nature. I know of so many tortoises that have died that way. Meanwhile, I've never lost a reptile of any species when hibernating indoors under correct controlled conditions. Lizards, snakes and tortoises alike.
I need to do some research on hibernation as I rarely touch on it. I’ve got no idea on the process so that’s one thing to learn about.