Hibernation Substrate

Chompy

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I am getting ready to hibernate my Russian tortoise in a box. What is the best substrate. Someone told me they use Timothy Hay Incase they wake up, they can eat it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hi Chompy,

Russians don’t eat hay and if they wake up enough to eat, they need to come out of hibernation anyway.

I use a deep layer of coco coir so my tortoise has something to dig; she does move around in there a bit. She’d prefer plain dirt but the coco is easier for me and I’m the boss! :)

It concerns me you are thinking about hibernating using substrate information that is bad or out of date. Have you researched safe hibernation on this site?

Chompy

San Diego, CA
Thank you. A friend hibernating her desert tortoise uses hay. That’s why I was checking on this forum. I will use coco coir. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer fine grade orchid bark. I found coir too messy, and peat can cause shell rot.

I see you are down in SD. It does not get or stay consistently cold enough here in SoCal to hibernate them without the use of a fridge. Scroll down to post #19 in this thread to get instructions. Most people do it wrong and that can be fatal for your tortoise. Questions are welcome.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/looking-for-an-rt-hibernation-mentor.128790/

Chompy

San Diego, CA
I prefer fine grade orchid bark. I found coir too messy, and peat can cause shell rot.

I see you are down in SD. It does not get or stay consistently cold enough here in SoCal to hibernate them without the use of a fridge. Scroll down to post #19 in this thread to get instructions. Most people do it wrong and that can be fatal for your tortoise. Questions are welcome.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/looking-for-an-rt-hibernation-mentor.128790/

Hi Tom!!!

I see that you are also a dog trainer I'm also an animal trainer and am set on doing this correctly. My issue is that with all the advice I've received, I'm all over the place. I read your post you suggested and was hoping you could guide me a bit from where I am now. I'm sure I've made mistakes.

My Russian tort is outside in our beautiful SD weather, but slowing down. I read your thread post #19 and don't know where I pick it up. I soak her twice a week. She hasn't eaten in 1 week. She is still pooping and peeing. She is also peeling, no matter how much I've soaked her. I am going to get the orchid bark you suggested. Because she is peeling I am afraid to hibernate her. Is this a concern? If you do suggest letting her hibernate, should I alter her light and temps or let her continue to slow down naturally.

I pay close attention to detail, so if you mentor me I will be the best student ever.

Thank you for all the info you share.

My Best,
Laney

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion the russian tortoise would do just fine in a box of shredded newspaper.They like to completely covered. It would take a lot of orchid bark or other substrate to completely cover the tortoise but shredded paper is very easy to fill the box.

Peeling skin is normal and nothing to worry about.