SUBSTRATE TO USE FOR OUTDOOR HIBERNATION HOUSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I live in Alta Loma, California. My husband is building an outdoor hibernation house for my adult Russian Tortoises. The house will be 17 inches wide on the inside and 39 inches long. The house will have insulation (the kind used in houses) in the floor, walls and roof area. I am wondering what substrate I should use. Would shredded newpapers, snake bedding (aspen) or Timothy hay be the best to use for the substrate or does anybody have another suggestion.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just shred up newspaper for my steppe tortoises. Because I have a hard time finding them to put them away, I usually grab them one at a time as they show up. This means that I have to set them up in a semi-indoor habitat until they're ready to hibernate. So I put them into the hibernatorium that is located on the car port, and it has a 3" layer of orchid bark on the floor, feeding station and hiding places. But I don't heat it or provide lights. I just prop open the lid, which lets in the outside air and light, allowing them to feel the shorter, cooler days and wind down. Once they have settled into their brumation, I add lots of shredded paper over them.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
emysemys said:
I just shred up newspaper for my steppe tortoises. Because I have a hard time finding them to put them away, I usually grab them one at a time as they show up. This means that I have to set them up in a semi-indoor habitat until they're ready to hibernate. So I put them into the hibernatorium that is located on the car port, and it has a 3" layer of orchid bark on the floor, feeding station and hiding places. But I don't heat it or provide lights. I just prop open the lid, which lets in the outside air and light, allowing them to feel the shorter, cooler days and wind down. Once they have settled into their brumation, I add lots of shredded paper over them.

Thank you so much for the information. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.