NEED IDEAS FOR RAISING THE TEMPERATURE JUST A FEW DEGREES IN HIBERNATION HOUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
The cold weather in California is unusually cold this Winter. My Russians are hibernating in an outside hibernation house that my husband built. The walls, ceiling and floor are heavily insulated. The tortoises are buried down deep in aspen snake bedding and I have shredded newspaper which fills the hibernation house to the top.

With the usual cold weather I would like the hibernation house to be a few degrees warmer. Right now my heat gun says it is around 34 degrees which is too cold. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could raise the temperature a few degrees until this horrible cold spell is over which should be in around 2-3 more days. I thought of a heat emitter, but that would warm the hibernation house up way too much and they would wake up. I thought of placing a heating pad inside on top of the newspaper, however, my heating pad automatically shuts itself off after a certain amount of time.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you thought about placing a temp cover over the entire house? Like an old sleeping bag or such...if the temps that you are getting are 34--are those during the day or during the night?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The 34 degree temperature was at around noon today. I believe it got down to 30 or 31 degrees last night. Would the sleeping bag or a similar item work since no heat is being generated from within the hibernation house? The hibernation house is in complete shade this time of year.

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is that the temp from down where they actually are buried? Of where within the house?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using bottles of hot water to keep my planter boxes alive. I put jugs of hot water in there and then cover the tops with furni pads over night. Its just enough to fight off the frost bite.

A pic of your boxes might help some one come up with more ideas. A CHE or Kane heat mat on a thermostat might work, but I have no idea if this will fit in your boxes. Don't let them get into the low 30's. Their eyeballs can freeze, so I've heard.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Don't let them get into the low 30's. Their eyeballs can freeze,

In addition, they can actually freeze...also, Jacqui is very good at asking exactly where are you getting that temp reading from within the house? So smart ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Toms idea is o. Good track. Try using a vaporizer or humidifier with hot water placed in the unit. Should raise temps a few degrees. Or a low watt bulb.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have an electric radiator in my garage with a builtin 'frost stat' on it. If the room temperature drops below 5C it cuts in just long enough to bring the temperature back up. I believe some greenhouse heaters will do the same.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I dug down and took the temperature at around noon today.

Thanks for the ideas everybody. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well good lord woman! Don't keep us in suspense! What were the temps at tortoise level?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The top shell of one tortoise was 34 degrees and another 33 degrees. Sorry to keep you in suspense. LOL. :D

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
A picture of the box and where it is located might really help. How far is it from an electrical outlet, is it waterproof, etc?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Put in a hot water bottle as an immediate solution. You can refill it before bed. cover the whole thing with a sleeping bag, as suggested.

They also sell long lasting heat packs for power outages. I know you can get them at
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Heat-Packs
but of course, that has to be shipped.

On a more emergent basis;
Check out a local Walmart or pharmacy or health supply stores for heat packs, or even one of the Thermacare products that might last longer.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/12444543?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hi Carol I am in Cali too with a similar challenge but my torts are in a hibernation box. Lows were 27 last night so I brought them into my garage. Its a bit warm in my garage 50-58 but it was way to stressful to worry about them outside. I have Margies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.