above 85 degrees= bouncing off walls

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
A lot of people tell me that the temps in a Russian tortoise enclosure need to be around 100 degrees in the basking area. However, whenever the temperature rises above around 85 degrees, Gobi will start going crazy (I've mentioned this in a lot of my threads). He will climb onto his log and then flip onto his back. Is 85 degrees too cold? Would it impair his ability to digest food?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
...it sounds to me that your tortoise is just getting up to temp and being active at proper temperatures. Keeping them cool to keep them 'calm' doesn't strike me as a good idea.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I know that tortoises warm up with their body temperature and become more active. I think Gobi might not just be energetic. Is it normal for them to literally try to destroy their enclosure? (that's an exaggeration but still)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, some do some not so much. However, his whole enclosure should not be 85 either. 80 is high enough except the basking spot and should have a cooler end of around 75. At night no heat is needed if the enclosure are does not go below 60

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I think that is not going crazy, more being active for me. anyway, you should keep an eye about things that make him flipping, it is a little bit dangerous.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, 85 is too cold. Your tort must be able to raise its internal temperature into the high 90s in order to digest its food.

If it's going stir crazy with the proper temperatures then it suggests the enclosure is too small. How big is the enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A lot of people tell me that the temps in a Russian tortoise enclosure need to be around 100 degrees in the basking area. However, whenever the temperature rises above around 85 degrees, Gobi will start going crazy (I've mentioned this in a lot of my threads). He will climb onto his log and then flip onto his back. Is 85 degrees too cold? Would it impair his ability to digest food?

What size is your enclosure? How large is the basking area? What is the temp on the cooler side when basking temp is 100? How are you measuring temps? Can we see a pic of the enclosure?

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I will try to upload a picture as soon as possible, but right now my camera is being wonky and I can't upload anything from my phone. When I get back, I'll try to take one with my better camera and upload it to my computer.