Hibernation

jc2972

We are new Russian tortoise owners and we were reading something that said for at least 8 weeks a year you put your tortoise into hibernation??? Basically that you keep the body temp to 40-45 degrees... Is this true???

If so when do you do this?? And why???

Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You don't have to do it but you can.

In the wild they dig underground and wait out the snow and freezing temperatures that come with winter. Reptiles need heat and sunshine to function. When it gets too cold, they go into hibernation to conserve energy and wait for warmer weather.

Since this is how they have evolved to live over millions of years, most people prefer to continue simulating these seasons for them in our captive environments. I hibernate mine for 12-16 weeks depending on the weather. I have a dedicated fridge in my garage that I set just for them.

In some parts of their range, russian tortoises are only active for about six weeks in spring and six weeks in fall. They hibernate all winter to avoid the cold and aestivate all summer to avoid the heat.

jc2972

He is only about 5 inches right now and we are from Arkansas.

So if we keep him warm he won't have to???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Provided you keep light and heat levels stable and warm enough, your tort won't hibernate. As Tom said, no tort has to be hibernated.

Where is your enclosure and how much space does your tort have? (pics help :) ) Russians are active torts and need room to explore

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is only about 5 inches right now and we are from Arkansas.

So if we keep him warm he won't have to???

It is there natural instinct to want to hibernate when temps drop and the days get shorter. If your is a wild caught tortoise, it may try to hibernate no matter what you do. By warming up the temps and keeping the days longer, some tortoises can be fooled into not hibernating.

There is much debate about this subject. Some people feel hibernation is simply a means for tortoises to survive unfavorable conditions and they don't "need" it if conditions stay favorable. Many people have kept them this way for years with no apparent issues. Personally, I think their brains need this "winter break" and it also helps to cycle their endocrine systems. There is an obvious difference in breeding behavior and appetite in tortoises that hibernate and tortoises that don't.

I have kept many a tortoise up through the winter, and I've hibernated even more. I prefer to hibernate them. I think it is "better" for them. If you prefer to keep the tortoise up, you can, or at least you can try. Sometimes the tortoises have other ideas.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And Tom knows I hibernate my Greek successfully and have done for years. The one year we had to keep him up was terribly stressful for both of us. Joe knows when to go down and we know how to read the signs with him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are our temps good??

You haven't told us your temps yet? Or do you mean outdoors?

To hibernate them safely they need to be brought inside and kept somewhere consistently cold, but not too cold. Leaving them outside to fend for themselves with the whims of mother nature can be deadly. Most of the people who advise against hibernation have had bad experiences with leaving the tortoises outside to hibernate. Flooding, freezing, predators, rats, winter warm spells in some areas... can all wreak havoc on a hibernating tortoise. Bringing them inside and following the right steps will prevent all those potential hazards.

jc2972

He os inside.. Under the heat lamp it is from 79-85 and normal light is 70-75.