Hibiscus leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I've had my baby golden greek for exactly one week. Thorugh the week I realized she had issues eating, meaning she hates store bought lettuce and only eats things that I find outside. I ordered seeds so I'll plant those but while I wait the only thing she'll eat is hibiscus leaves and the occasional dandelion if I find one.

Is it okay that she'll only eat hibiscus leaves right now?

I've been putting bird vitamins in her water while I soak her and calcium on the leaves so I know she's getting vitamins. I also was mixing organic carrot baby food in when she soaked the last couple of days because she hadn't eaten in 2 days since she was rejecting everything I gave her. I thought she was sick and was ready to take her to the vet, turns out she's just a really picky eater :rolleyes:

Totally just realized I was having a brain fart and spelt leaves wrong. Excuse my poor mid day spelling error.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Can you sneak in any other leaves? Like chop up 3 hibiscus leaves and chop up 1 rose leaf, mix it all together so when she smells it she still smells the hibiscus and eats everything. You don't have to use a rose leaf I was just using that as my example. How old is she?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
They occasionally get 'stuck' on one food item. When it is reasonably healthy, like this, we don't need to panic, but it is still a good idea to work other food items in. You can try chopping and mixing, or just not offering hibiscus for a while- whatever works best for you.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm not exact on her age but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere between 5 weeks and 8 weeks (I'm not even sure if she is a she haha.) She's about an inch and a half in length.

I try to sneak in things as much as I can. Like when I was outside with her today i put a piece of romaine lettuce down on the grass and she ate 3 bites of it.

I haven't tried chopping up her food, she usually just eats it as it is. So I think I will try chopping and mixing. And if that doesn't work I will try taking it away, I'm just letting her eat it right now because she hasn't eaten in two days due to stubbornness.

I did however discover that she likes clover! I happened to come across some today while outside and she chowed down the second I put her near it. She has some weird thing with eating food outside instead of the food on her rock.

Thanks Mary Anne & Mark for the help!:)
Sarah

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Keep adding new stuff. She may get used to it. Get some Mazuri too.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I've tried Mazuri =/ I gave it to her for the first time on monday and she seemed to like it. But since then I haven't been able to get her to eat it. She just walks away and leaves it to be eaten by my other tort. I've even tried putting a tiny bit of the organic carrot baby food on it but that didn't seem to help either.

~Sarah

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Boy oh boy she is a picky eater! I have 4 CDT hatchlings, and each one is different from the other! I chop up their food pretty good, so they can't tell what is what, so when they take a bite, they are usually getting 2 or 3 different things in each chomp! They still sit there and bump their little noses on everything first. Sometimes in the afternoon I will put leaves in there uncut to encourage some grazing. I have one super picky eater too. Princess Penny who only wants Mazuri. So that is her Sunday treat now. Good luck, keep trying. BTW where is Eastvale?

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks:) It's sort of good to know I'm not the only one with a picky eater lol

Eastvale is in Riverside county. It's right above Norco and right next to Mira Loma. It was actually considered a part of Corona for the longest time but just became it's own city last October. You wouldn't even realize it was a city if you were driving through it. It's just a bunch of oversized houses and one shopping center on top of a bunch of old cattle fields. It's like a stinky suburb haha

~Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.