Hii newbie here have problem

randrianp

Location (City and/or State)
bandung
Hi.. im newbie sulcata's keeper, im from indonesia. actually im not really new on this forum, but this one is my first post.. i just bought a 11 inch sulcata which probably male ( the seller said), he so scared when i get around on backyard hes running to the bushes so fast not like other tortoise. The seller said this sulcata was wild captured, is this the reason the sully so scared,. Any idea how to make this sully not so scared? because my 3" and my 5" sulcata not really scared as the bigger one.. thx for helping me

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Hi.. im newbie sulcata's keeper, im from indonesia. actually im not really new on this forum, but this one is my first post.. i just bought a 11 inch sulcata which probably male ( the seller said), he so scared when i get around on backyard hes running to the bushes so fast not like other tortoise. The seller said this sulcata was wild captured, is this the reason the sully so scared,. Any idea how to make this sully not so scared? because my 3" and my 5" sulcata not really scared as the bigger one.. thx for helping me

Give him time and let him adjust. Keep your distance. Also I try not to stare into the eyes of any new/scared animal. He should come around. How about some pics of the enclosure so the experts can chime in! ;)

randrianp

bandung
Give him time and let him adjust. Keep your distance. Also I try not to stare into the eyes of any new/scared animal. He should come around. How about some pics of the enclosure so the experts can chime in! ;)
I give him 6x4m fullgrass backyard with certain area for sunbathing and also make a shelter for him. I cant take a pic now, because already night here., Is it okay to move him to smaller indoor enclosure to make him feel comfortable around my family members for a week or just give him time to adjust as your advise..

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
It just needs time to adapt to new environment. Are they being kept together? The distinct size difference cab bring about bullying of the small ones by the big one easily. I would separate them if you haven't already.
Anyway, don't bother it too much, just keep refilling the food and water dishes, be sure to not move too fast. And eventually it will realise that you are associated with tasty foods. And it'll be less scared of you.
This was my personal experience at least.

randrianp

bandung
It just needs time to adapt to new environment. Are they being kept together? The distinct size difference cab bring about bullying of the small ones by the big one easily. I would separate them if you haven't already.
Anyway, don't bother it too much, just keep refilling the food and water dishes, be sure to not move too fast. And eventually it will realise that you are associated with tasty foods. And it'll be less scared of you.
This was my personal experience at least.
I separate my sulcatas, each one have different enclosure. i have read a lot from this forum especially the mandatory article for the newbie
It really helpful for the young and babies torto, but i cant found articles for the mid size or the big one. Thx for helping

aqualungs

Perry, OH
If he can be in a separate enclosure outside, that’s beautiful! It will just take time. Food, good care and husbandry, and love from your heart.. he will adjust. I bet in a month or so he will be happy to see you brim him food lol!