Home Hingeback tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
Got myself 2 more new tortoises...2 weeks ago..was told by the seller that it was a 1.1 forest hingeback tortoise..after looking and asking on another forum..found out they were home's hingeback....and after reading the top forum about sexing these guys...i think instead of a 1.1...these guys are actually 2 males...any input would really be helpful..

thanks

J

DSC02269.JPGDSC02270.JPGDSC02271.JPGDSC02272.JPGDSC02273.JPGDSC02274.JPGDSC02276.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
They are Home's Hingebacks, Kinixys homeana. The shell drops off sharply at the 5th vertebral scute. Serrated Hingebacks (Kinixys erosa) do not have the sharp drop off.

This one -

attachment.php

is female. I need to see the tail of the other one to determine if it is male or not.

What is the white substance on the plastrons of these guys? Looks like it could be mold or fungus...

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
That white stuff looks like calcium powder!Looks like it was feeding time.Great looking homes.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I kinda thought that too, after I looked again, lol. Just wanted to make sure ;)

OH, and - as far as the term "Forest Hingebacks." Both Home's and Serrateds are known as Forests, and both in fact dwell in riverine swamp forests in the wild :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
An erosa. The back of the carapace slopes to the ground. There is no knob or 90* angle.

1135564.jpg

This is a profile of a Home's.

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE123.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Actually that is a Home's Kristina :p It's just captive raised. If you look close at the 5th vertebral scute, it has a knob at the top of the scute. A K.erosa wouldn't have that.

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Which often is indicative of homeana VS. erosa, BUT, I have a homeana with no nuchal :) So that is not 100% correct either, and another reason why I feel a lot of these ones that have some characteristics of both may be intergrades.

He is the darker colored one.

KristinasPictures048.jpg

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
I will try to take photo of the tail of the other...seems the other one is very shy...i soak them everyday...after soaking i see them pooping...and the shy one..always poo....green colored stools..while the active one's stool is like different colors depending on what she eats...

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
here are the photos of the two hingeback tails...i think both are either male or female...

DSC02280.JPGDSC02278.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Both female.

THIS is a male.

KristinasPictures109.jpg

Their tails are almost as big as their leg.

oh wow

thanks...i guess i'll be looking for a male for the 2 ladies..

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.