HELP (home's hingeback tortoise) care

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Well she's not trying to get away from other torts because you only have her.
She's probably not gravid because she laid 3 eggs, although there could be another.
So you need to make sure she has plenty of dense foliage to hide in. She may be feeling insecure.
Also, because she is wild caught she isn't used to barriers and is used to freedom.
Get plenty of cover for her. Even if you make some hides out of sticks and cover with some of that fern you showed us. Pile up a load of dried leaves. Anything that is natural cover.
What are the temperatures outside?
She seldom flips over, and at night is usually 26, afternoon is about 30-34.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Does she have anywhere to hide from the heat and bright sunlight?
Well the cave is away from sunlight, the palm, bottom left corner and the cave is from the heat. I also already planted in taro. Some of the roots are damaged but some are still ok. The enclosure:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449493093.810500.jpg

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450689730.758776.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450689758.943224.jpg
The enclosure up to now. Should I pluck out the weeds and grass, or should I let them stay and cover the whole enclosure floor in the future?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Leave weeds to grow.
What about the grass when it covers the whole enclosure? I thought previously you guys say to don't use grass for the whole thing. The grass grows very quickly though...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What about the grass when it covers the whole enclosure? I thought previously you guys say to don't use grass for the whole thing. The grass grows very quickly though...
Well you don't want the entire enclosure covered in grass, but clumps of long grass would look good and provide some cover. Your going to have to maintain this enclosure like you would any normal garden. In time you could have an excellent hingeback enlcosure.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Well you don't want the entire enclosure covered in grass, but clumps of long grass would look good and provide some cover. Your going to have to maintain this enclosure like you would any normal garden. In time you could have an excellent hingeback enlcosure.
This is the first big enclosure I make, so it is my first time really maintaining plants... How do I remove the grass or let it grow in certain areas only?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is the first big enclosure I make, so it is my first time really maintaining plants... How do I remove the grass or let it grow in certain areas only?
You will have to dig it out at the roots, when it's small it should just pull out. If you let some clumps grow, don't let it re-seed. Or you will be chasing it forever. When you see the seeds coming just cut the tops off.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You will have to dig it out at the roots, when it's small it should just pull out. If you let some clumps grow, don't let it re-seed. Or you will be chasing it forever. When you see the seeds coming just cut the tops off.
Try and train clumps something like this.
If you can incorporate ferns and large plants with this too.
images.jpg

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
I also heard that spider plant is good for enclosures. Maybe I will plant a few.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Enclosure update:

I just finished removing the cow grass, 1 bucket full
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450757870.027644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450757885.079894.jpg

Do these two types of weeds grow out of control?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450757906.128698.jpg

I also planted clover. The banana tree also has 2 new baby plants.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450758397.958032.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450758414.644466.jpg

New hide, when the money plants grow it would cover the top.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450758450.049509.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Can't wait until all the foliage has grown. Will look good.
Leave the weeds and see what they are.