Breeding Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

I am figuring it will be at least a year or so before I have eggs now that I have a male Home's but I wanted to start doing my research now on breeding so I am ready. From what I have read so far it seems the Home's tend to breed in the spring and lay in the fall (about 30-45 days after mating). They also seem to be more likely to breed after rain storms or being sprayed. They need at least 6 inches of substrate to lay in. It seems some females stop eating and start pacing before laying and some will not, and they usually like to lay in secluded areas (e.g. in hides). I have also read that the eggs are incubated for about 5 months. If any of this info is incorrect please correct me.

Now my questions are
1. At what temps do the eggs need to be incubated? It seems for most species it is in the mid 80's, is this true for Home's too?
2. Do the eggs go through any kind of diapause?
3. I know with some female tort species their plastron becomes loose right before laying, does this occur in Home's?
4. Around what percentage should the humidity be at in the incubator?
5. What is an average clutch size for Home's?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to be as prepared as I can.
Thanks guys!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
1. 78 to 84F
2. Yes, but as far as I know you don't need to do anything to break it
3. No, as their carapaces are already hinged :D
4. 80 to 90%
5. 2

Danny

S

Scooter

Thanks Danny, I just want to make sure I am prepared when the time comes. I have done some breeding with other species but never with Home's I am very excited!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Didn't someone's homes on here start mating after a water pipe broke in their house?

S

Scooter

Yes, that is one of the post I read through to get the info I have :D Though mine are outside so I don't see that working for me haha :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Scooter said:
Thanks Danny, I just want to make sure I am prepared when the time comes. I have done some breeding with other species but never with Home's I am very excited!

We will all be excited along with you, too! ;) Just a side note, this morning the Bells were breeding and tonight one of the Homes was caught in action. Has been pretty noisey in the house today. :D

S

Scooter

Jacqui thats great! I can't wait to be able to put Scoot and Ray together.

Has anyone notice if their female Homes have a preference for their nesting substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.