Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
When I was planning my outdoor pen I spent weeks trying to identify the 15 weed species in the area where I planned to build it. After I finally got a weed identified, then I had to try to figure out if it was edible and or toxic. I wish I knew about you guys then! Any that I wasn't sure of got chucked. Horehound, Marrubium vulgare, was one of those. It took weeks to find someone in a nursery who knew what it was, but even then no one knew if it was toxic. I found some stuff about using it in some herbal remedies, but didn't want to risk it. This stuff grows all over my 5 acre ranch and seems to persist when the other weeds are dying off. My camel, donkey and kangaroo all eat it with no apparent ill-effect, but they don't seem to like as much as the mustard and mallow. Does any one know if this is edible for sulcatas or other torts?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4276227458_b0349b9b46_b.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
t_mclellan said:
Question, Where (State) is this located & what so you smell when you crush a lief?

I'm in Southern California. Never noticed much of a smell when handling this one. If there is a smell, its not very strong or noticeable. I'll check this later today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ha! You thought it was mint, huh? So did I, but the stem isn't right for mint. Sorry, don't know what it is.

CAMEL??????

S

stells

But... :D
It is in the Lamiaceae family... which mint is in...
I have never come across this weed over here... so thats as far as i can advise i am afraid...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nope, not much smell to it. It just smelled a little wet when I crushed it up. The stalk is whitish and kind of fuzzy. It makes these little balls of stickers when its done doing its thing. I'll get a pic of these and maybe that will help. It would sure be great if it was edible as it is all over the place and grows year round.

Yes, we have a camel. Doesn't everybody? Her name is Lily and she's very sweet. She's thirteen now and I've been with her since she was 9 months. Much smoother than a horse to ride, but not nearly as fast.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a segment here on the forum for "other pets" and I'd dearly love to see pictures of Lily!

S

stells

Is the stalk more square than round?

I would also love to see pics of Lily... and your other animals... please :D

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Haha..the way Yvonne reacted about the Camel, is how I was when I read kangaroo...really?? Pictures please!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh good lord. I'm terrible with the picture posting thing. It takes me forever and I can only get it to do a link. However, in the interest of making you all smile I will persevere. I'll try to put some up later, but I'm pushing my luck with the wife. You people and this forum are addicting...

BTW the stalks are more round than square. I'll get better pics of them and the camel and the roo posted asap.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
From what I can find, it's not toxic. May not be liked, but it won't bother them if they do eat it. :D

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Roachman26 said:
When I was planning my outdoor pen I spent weeks trying to identify the 15 weed species in the area where I planned to build it. After I finally got a weed identified, then I had to try to figure out if it was edible and or toxic. I wish I knew about you guys then! Any that I wasn't sure of got chucked. Horehound, Marrubium vulgare, was one of those. It took weeks to find someone in a nursery who knew what it was, but even then no one knew if it was toxic. I found some stuff about using it in some herbal remedies, but didn't want to risk it. This stuff grows all over my 5 acre ranch and seems to persist when the other weeds are dying off. My camel, donkey and kangaroo all eat it with no apparent ill-effect, but they don't seem to like as much as the mustard and mallow. Does any one know if this is edible for sulcatas or other torts?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4276227458_b0349b9b46_b.jpg

kangaroo?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
[/quote]

kangaroo?
[/quote]

Yes. I posted a couple of pics in the "other pets section".

Status
Not open for further replies.