Horsefield - weird shell marks

b114

I have two horsefield tortoises both roughly 3 years old and one seems to be a lot less healthy and lazy. The unhealthy one is bigger but they are the same age. What are these markings on the shell! I can tell they are bad as the other doesn't have them and it's worrying me:( you can see the healthiest one from the picture of them both. The healthy looking is very active, always up out of it's shell until the lights are turned off but the other only comes out for food:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 42

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's really hard to give good info just from seeing a picture, but I'll give it a shot. That almost looks like the seams between the scutes are weeping serum, which makes me think the tortoise was squashed a little, cracking the tender seams. If that's not the case, then it might be some sort of rot or fungus, however, this usually starts on the plastron, not the carapace. I suggest you take this tortoise to a vet. He needs an experienced tortoise person to look and see what's going on.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

b114

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's really hard to give good info just from seeing a picture, but I'll give it a shot. That almost looks like the seams between the scutes are weeping serum, which makes me think the tortoise was squashed a little, cracking the tender seams. If that's not the case, then it might be some sort of rot or fungus, however, this usually starts on the plastron, not the carapace. I suggest you take this tortoise to a vet. He needs an experienced tortoise person to look and see what's going on.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Definitely not squashed, as they only come out when everyone's in bed except me and run around a bit, guess it will have to be the vets:( thanks a lot :)