Hot tortoises in cold weather???

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
So I have a few questions, so people who have tortoises that have to be In hot climates of course not when they are in hibernation. But if they move to cold climate then what do any of u do? If there any enclosure nd special lamps? I see people have like sulcatas cooler weathers. How do u guys do It ??

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
What I've done, and what many others do is build a heated shed for them. I've got an electric oil filled radiator style heater inside that is on a thermostat. It works very well. My sulcatas will come out during the day and graze, then when they get chilled, they head back in to warm up, only to head back out and graze some more. They'll do this a number of times during the day. Even coming out in light rain. I'm in Oregon.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm is pretty basic. Tom is the master when it comes to heated sheds/boxes. If you do a search in the enclosure section you may find them. I've simply made a 4'x4'x4' box with a sloping roof. The doorway is covered with thick,clear,pliable plastic. I insulated it with foil backed rigid insulation. I was having a hard time maintaining good temps through out the box, so I mounted a small computer fan blowing on the heater. This helped move the warm air around. I only needed to teach the tortoises 3-4 days to go up the ramp and into the box at sunset. Now they do that on their own which is nice, they weigh in around 50 lbs. each.

Here, check this out. Tom completely covers his insulation with plywood on the inside. I only covered the lower 16". And I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question. The heater was less than $40 at Walmart.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

argus333

5 Year Member
ya heated shed, is all it takes. right now here in nj 33 degrees outside 72 in turtle shed and thats the cool side.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I sorta did the bone head move. It's 24f out the tortoise she'd is 81f and I pointed out to my wife that they are warmer than our house right now. The living room is 75. She gave me a good eye roll.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cowboy_Ken said:
I sorta did the bone head move. It's 24f out the tortoise she'd is 81f and I pointed out to my wife that they are warmer than our house right now. The living room is 75. She gave me a good eye roll.

Well DUH!

Wassamatta U? Too far into happy hour? :p