Hours of heat/light

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefeat

5 Year Member
So I have a bulb that emits heat and light but I've heard they need anywhere between 9 and 14 hours. I would assume their natural (Slovenian Tort) Mediterranean environment would see they get 14 hours of light (July) but only 11 hours of heat as sunrise and sunset both have warming up and cooling down periods? Somehow I think I've answered my own question but I bow to an experienced keeper. Thanks

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I believe most keepers of Med tortoises provide 12 hours of heat and light per day when they are keeping the tortoise indoors. 12 hours of UVB is more than they would get in natural conditions.

You are correct that in natural conditions there would be a gradual warm-up and very intense heat and light around the middle of the day with cooling down again. It doesn't seem to cause the tortoise any problem to just provide the same amount of heat and light all day.

Mine are in outdoor accommodation at the moment with free access to outside. Depending how good a day it is, they become active any time after 9 and after about 4 in the afternoon its only a matter of time before they go to bed even when its a nice warm day. I think it is because of the fall in light intensity. I am convinced that the quality of light outdoors is superior to artificial lights, though these get better all the time.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
yeah most run a 12/12 cycle. I know a few that run less light though, I had about a 12/12...

M

Maggie Cummings

I make a small outside pen and put them outside for as long as I can. It's movable and just allows for some hours in the sun...here...Some days it's not much. Please forgive the mess

2cd8ne9.jpg

2lkv29i.jpg

I have 5 of those small fences and I use them all the time. It's not fancy like some of the pictures from other forum members that I've seen, but I can move them around to wherever I want so the tortoises basically follow the sun, and it's perfect for me.
Using this method I *generally* don't feel the need for UVB lighting. The animals that can't get out with any regularity have UVB for 5 or so hours a day.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
That's awesome Maggie! I sometimes think the 12 hours is way overkill as my tort is not awake for a lot of that. I've thought of cutting back to save on energy at least while he's asleep. I also hear of people using a regular light bulb and only using the UVB bulb in the middle of the day for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.