house pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Terry Allan Hall said:
Just trying to imagine how you'd keep a diaper on a tortoise...and Tom makes a very valid point about how often you'd have to change that diaper daily.

Believe I'd try to paper-train one, instead...had a friend w/ a free-roaming house-iguana that used damp newspaper, in a large plastic tub, and only "missed" occasionally (if an iguana, the intellectual equal to a mildly slow chicken, can do that, a tortoise certainly can! ;))

Its instinctual for an iguana to poop in one area of its domain though, its one way that hunters would find them. But they are pretty smart for lizards though.

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Ridgefield, WA
As i have a degree studying mammals and some reptiles i am wondering about possible disease related to this. Dogs eat about anything and we all know torts will eat droppings so i would think that keeping them together is a big no no something to think about anyway

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
this has to be a joke, imagine the mess and smell,i can't stand cats in the house, you would have to be a pretty dirty person to do this.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
PeanutbuttER said:

Sonorans are well known for their rock climbing and jumping abilities. I think people would be amazed how far up we can find them. But thanks for the diaper videos, I think the only way I would keep one inside is if I had tile or vinyl floors and no diaper.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I don't understand how they can keep the whole house warm enough for a tort. I do keep mine in a room in the basement for the winter but it is heated and UV lights and mulch on the floor. The diaper is crazy!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Sorry, to bump an old thread, but I missed this one, toooo funny and sad at the same time.

We have a puppy that's having trouble with housebreaking, and have tried diapers on her, and it works.... but changing them sucks! Wasn't really a great option to us.

AS to being odd.... yup .... very odd. you guys is kwazy :)

I chatted with a couple ladies from the local Tortoise society recently. Very sweet , and just radiated that little bit of odd. I was very surprised when one of them mentioned her redfoot had free-roam of the house, even though that was a nono. I quickly got the impression they weren't the same kind of keepers as I've learned from all of you to be :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Baileys. He looked so dejected having to wear a doggy diaper. Don't those people know that they make diapers for dogs? To me, the whole thing reeks of laziness...

Too lazy to set up a proper tortoise habitat and too lazy to house train the puppy.

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
Guys, looking at the pictures of these tortoises, I don't really see any health issues. If these people want to put diapers on their tortoises and treat them like house dogs, and if the tortoises aren't stressed or abused, I don't see why not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You know...I think you're probably right. We pride ourselves on allowing each member to have his/her own ideas about taking care of tortoises. So I guess in this instance we have to say, "To each his own."

I've seen quite a few sulcatas with poopy butts that really, really needed to be cleaned off. If those tortoises could live with poop pressed up against them then I guess a diapered tortoise can too.

Not my cup of tea, but to each his own!:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
poor oscar.. it wont be so funny to the owners when he breaks a leg or neck falling off that step! and you can see him looking for food.. i wonder how much dust bunnies he eats..

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jermosh said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Just trying to imagine how you'd keep a diaper on a tortoise...and Tom makes a very valid point about how often you'd have to change that diaper daily.

Believe I'd try to paper-train one, instead...had a friend w/ a free-roaming house-iguana that used damp newspaper, in a large plastic tub, and only "missed" occasionally (if an iguana, the intellectual equal to a mildly slow chicken, can do that, a tortoise certainly can! ;))

Its instinctual for an iguana to poop in one area of its domain though, its one way that hunters would find them. But they are pretty smart for lizards though.

Actually, iguanas are about the 3rd dumbest creature alive! (#1 being the domestic turkey, #2 being a chicken or a NASCAR fanatic...it was a tie! ;))

Monitors and agamids are pretty smart, though.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I'm not sure what I think about tortoises in diapers, but that poor little doggie did not look happy.

I think I'm in the "get-off-your-butt-and-set-up-a-proper-environment" camp...;)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
There are lots of folks out there who think they are doing the best for their pet but many think they aren't, but until its abuse, not much we can do besides try to sway their opinion...I think its so wrong to have your tort roam the house in a diaper, for many reasons.

M

Maggie Cummings

I've been a NASCAR fanatic for about 30 years and I am trying very hard to not be offended by your comment. I am not dumb at all, just happen to enjoy race cars and all the hoopla that surrounds them. Guess I'd better go someplace else before I say something I'll get in trouble for. But just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean it's dumb. Guess I failed and I did get offended after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.