Housing outdoors

Chilly

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I have a testudo Greek tortoise. Currently, she lives inside with us but we were thinking about keeping her outside for the summer. The summer here is about 80-90 and not extremely humid. Is it bad/stressful to move the tortoise inside for the winter and outside for the summer. If not, any tips on building a enclosure outside?

Chilly

Massachusetts
Forgot to mention but we would have to bring her inside for the winters and it gets brutal with blizzards and noreasters

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
It would not be stressful and would actually be way more beneficial if you made a summer enclosure. You should make the area in a sunny area, and have several hides for shade in the enclosure so she doesn't overheat. You can make the enclosure out of cinder blocks or wood. Make sure it is very secure so she can't escape and nothing can get in, and also that the wood is safe for tortoises (if you make it out of wood)

Chilly

Massachusetts
It would not be stressful and would actually be way more beneficial if you made a summer enclosure. You should make the area in a sunny area, and have several hides for shade in the enclosure so she doesn't overheat. You can make the enclosure out of cinder blocks or wood. Make sure it is very secure so she can't escape and nothing can get in, and also that the wood is safe for tortoises (if you make it out of wood)
Thank you so much! What do you think the dimensions should be? Space isnt really an issue because we have a big yard. Also, what are some good woods for tortoises? Sorry I keep asking questions but what are some good things for her to play with and enrich her?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Thank you so much! What do you think the dimensions should be? Space isnt really an issue because we have a big yard. Also, what are some good woods for tortoises? Sorry I keep asking questions but what are some good things for her to play with and enrich her?
Don't worry about the questions I'd love to help. I would make the enclosure as big as possible since you have the space. You won't regret it. An 8x8 or bigger would be awesome. I'm not really sure on the wood, mine is made out of these rocks/bricks. I would wait for someone with experience on that to come. Also, making the inside of the enclosure and decorating is SO much fun. I would fill the enclosure with lots of bushes, shrubs, grasses, as well as put some rocks/logs. You can also add terra cotta pots on their sides to serve as hides. You can add a slate or something similar for the food dish, and add a little area for a water dish. Good luck!