How big should my sulcata tortoise be?

MilesTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pittsburgh pennsylvania
i got my baby sulcata tortoise on december 25th and he's been the same size since then. i'd say the size of a kiwi or one of those halo oranges. with those 3 months of growth, is he at the right size or should he be bigger?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i wouldn’t worry unless it’s not eating, popping, etc. would you mind posting a picture? they grow at different Rates. you might have gotten the Runt.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
i got my baby sulcata tortoise on december 25th and he's been the same size since then. i'd say the size of a kiwi or one of those halo oranges. with those 3 months of growth, is he at the right size or should he be bigger?
1. Get urself a kitchen scale from walmart
2. Ur baby should be putting some weight on every week
3. Some greens are ok but go out to ur yard and cut some grass and safe weeds and mix it in with ur greens.
4. Dont let ur night temps or ambient temps drop below 80
5. Ur baby should be soaked everyday in warm water for 30 min

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i keep his humidity level around 75-80 with a basking spot of 100. at night i turn his lamp off so that he can cool down. i also give him 15-20 minute soaks 3 times a day and i give him a variety of greens.
seems your caring for it Great. what do you feed?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Welcome to the forum ! And nice looking baby. Any questions feel free to ask.
Have u read through the sulcata care thread?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
don’t worry to much. mines doesn’t grow much as well but sometimes that’s fine as long as it’s eating,moving, and poops it’s all good.

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania
1. Get urself a kitchen scale from walmart
2. Ur baby should be putting some weight on every week
3. Some greens are ok but go out to ur yard and cut some grass and safe weeds and mix it in with ur greens.
4. Dont let ur night temps or ambient temps drop below 80
5. Ur baby should be soaked everyday in warm water for 30 min
got it, thank you. :)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
thank you :) i give him baby greens, collards and romaine lettuce. i tried introducing him to a few fruits, but he doesn't care for them.
better for him, try not to offer him Fruits.
alright let me clear that up DO NOT GIVE HIM FRUITS?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When raised in the correct environment little sulcatas grow almost before your eyes. So I'm guessing there's something wrong with the way you're caring for this baby. He needs to be in a warm, humid environment. And you can't get that in an open-topped enclosure. So, close it off on top, keep it humid and 80-85F degrees all the time, day and night.

Have you read the pinned threads at the top of the sulcata secton?

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania
When raised in the correct environment little sulcatas grow almost before your eyes. So I'm guessing there's something wrong with the way you're caring for this baby. He needs to be in a warm, humid environment. And you can't get that in an open-topped enclosure. So, close it off on top, keep it humid and 80-85F degrees all the time, day and night.

i'll look into it, thank you. :)

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania

i'll look into it, thank you. :)

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
i keep his humidity level around 75-80 with a basking spot of 100. at night i turn his lamp off so that he can cool down. i also give him 15-20 minute soaks 3 times a day and i give him a variety of greens.
Sullys grow at different rates. Yours is really great looking. My Sully was 9 mo old end of December he weighed 1 pound. It is now April and he weighs 3 pounds!! 3 months 2 pounds.