How can I tell if my tort is getting adequate UVB?

pangoliinz

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Originally when looking up info for when we got our Hermann’s we had found that it was recommended to get the Zoomed Desert UVB/Heat duo lamp. So we obtained that one and have been using it ever since.

Fast forward to now and we have been told to try one of the long bulb T5 ones. Well the one we bought is apparently not a good one (ReptiZoo T5 HO 24w).

I was told they are cheaply made and don’t adequately reflect those rays. Is this still true? I just want to get more than one opinion before I go through the hassle of sending it back and finding a 3rd type of bulb.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Originally when looking up info for when we got our Hermann’s we had found that it was recommended to get the Zoomed Desert UVB/Heat duo lamp. So we obtained that one and have been using it ever since.

Fast forward to now and we have been told to try one of the long bulb T5 ones. Well the one we bought is apparently not a good one (ReptiZoo T5 HO 24w).

I was told they are cheaply made and don’t adequately reflect those rays. Is this still true? I just want to get more than one opinion before I go through the hassle of sending it back and finding a 3rd type of bulb.
This is the bulb to use
If you need the whole assembly.
Arcadia 584504 Pro T5 UVB Kit 24W Desert with D3+ 12% Reptile Tube, Approx. 57.5 x 6 x 4.5 cm https://a.co/d/967MRnK

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The "double dome" fixtures are reccomended by pet shops, etc. Because it's what they sell. And it's also convenient. But those uvb bulbs are coiled or spiral compacts. They are known to give issues. Even serious ones. And especially in that type of dome. Pointing down.
You need a T5 HO linear strip FLORESCENT tube. The length is up to you. But buy the entire fixture. Not just the tube.
We can get you in the ballpark once you decide on a brand. (Zoo-Med, Arcadia, etc) but to be certain you'll need a 6.5 SOLARMETER to know what the readings actually are

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There is only one answer to your question: Put a meter under YOUR bulb in YOUR enclosure. Solarmeter 6.5. Anything else is just a guess.

Some people find the meter expensive, but if you are using your bulb correctly, your meter will tell you that your bulb does NOT need to be replaced every six months. I have Arcadia HO tubes that are 4 years old and still working perfectly fine. Lots of UV coming out of them. The meter will end up saving you a ton of money that you would have wasted on new bulbs that you don't need.