how do I get my baby leopard to try Timothy hay?

porplefrogs

Location (City and/or State)
California
My tortoise won't eat Timothy hay or tortoise food or Mazuri and ONLY leafy greens including romaine and other lettuce. Is there any way I can make him try it?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Cut it up tiny and sprinkle it lightly on the food he does like. Then very slowly increase the amount of the new stuff over a few months. I had to do this with my two tortes. Now they will eat all the new stuff without me sneaking it in.

From my what I read on here about Timothy hay is they are too little and it is too tough so they don't care for it. You can cut grass out of your backyard if it is pesticide free.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't. Timothy is very woody. Try orchard hay instead.
However, you will need to cut it up tiny and soak well.
I would wait until he's around 2 or so before trying to feed it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the first place, babies don't eat hay. And secondly, leopards prefer broad leafed plants and Timothy is not broad leafed.

Once my leopards were past the stage where a bird might carry them away and I put them outside, they learned to eat grass that was growing in their yard, but the babies never did eat it - grass or hay.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise won't eat Timothy hay or tortoise food or Mazuri and ONLY leafy greens including romaine and other lettuce. Is there any way I can make him try it?
What Yvonne said. That's like trying to make your cat eat broccoli. Its not something that they eat.

Of the species that do eat grass hay, they only do that when they are larger, not as babies.

Food suggestions and info here:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My tortoise won't eat... tortoise food or Mazuri

Is there any way I can make him try it?
Yes, you can make your tortoise try the tortoise food/Mazuri.

Prepare your dish of leafy greens like normal. Separately, soak your tortoise food/Mazuri in a little bit of warm water. You want to use enough water that the pellets become mushy but not so much water that you end up with runny soup.

Once the pellets have absorbed the water, you can sprinkle the mushy crumbles over the plate of leafy greens. Like salad toppings :)

If you tortoise eats it, great. If not, that's ok, too. Eventually your tort might try enough of it to like it. Many tortoises learn to love the stuff.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, pour any left over mazuri soaked water over the greens. No sense letting that go to waste. Also helps to get the mazuri flavor on everything. I usually used enough water that I had some left over.