How do I keep the enclosure humid?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichabod

5 Year Member
I have a storage bin that is 19L in size. The warm side is about 88 and the cool side is about 82ish. I notice that the substrate (spag moss) dries up quickly. I usually go through his enclosure and re-dampen everything, seeing that just spraying his enclosure doesnt do much.

But I was just wondering if there was any products or tricks anyone uses to keep it humid in there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Having lots of plants in the enclosure helps, real or fake, doesn't matter. Also, you can partially cover the habitat.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I have an under the bed storage bin, and I cut the lid in half and covered his coll half of his enclosure, and it helps that half stay more humid.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Humidity is made by heat and water. You can either trap humidity being made in there by partially covering the habitat (aim for covering enough to keep it warm and moist, but no so much it starts to smell.)

You can also try things like:
- live plants
- fake plants, decorative moss, or other surfaces that can be misted and evaporate
- a powered misting unit on a timer. Things like the Habba Mist, a warm vapor humidifier, a home-made air bubbler humidifier, etc.
- a humid hide, which is just a closed box with a hole in the side for the tortoise. it is lined with sphagnum moss that is dampened and turned frequently. If it needs more humidity, hang a cloth bag stuffed with more moss in it and dunk the bag in warm water periodically. Keep the entire box on the warm side.
- putting a heat pad under some of the habitat and getting it wetter.
- adding a drip unit- just a bucket with a small hole. Combine the drip with the live plant, warm spot, or hanging bag for more effectiveness.

it seems to work best when the hide is very humid- but not actually wet- and the rest of the place is over 50%.

Ichabod

5 Year Member
Thank you all very much. I will try the the lid idea. Ill cut approx half of the lid and Ill try that. If that doesnt work, Ill try the other suggestions you all gave me! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What kind of heat and lighting do you have? If you put a heat emitter over the hide, and on the other side a long tube light that gives off no heat, your moss won't dry as quickly. I soak the hide in warm water and put it under the HE. Even if the top dries the inside stays humid and so does the moss that is inside the hide. I stopped using the moss, except for in the hide, and use cypress mulch. Then if you put plants in their little pots around the enclosure, and water them this will also keep in the humidity, without keeping the substrate wet, which would cause shell fungus. (this happened to me, and that is why I like a dry substrate).

Status
Not open for further replies.