How do I keep the hide warm enough?

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
In the indoor enclosure, I made a hide out of a 20 litre plastic bucket. The kind used for mixing cement. It feels a bit too cool inside it. How do I make it warmer? I can't place a CHE inside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could try a pig blanket or a reptile radiant heat panel and attach it to the inside but on the roof of the enclosure towards an end. Not sure if any are small enough though.
You can also cut a hole in the top, just big enough so a che fits over the hole and the fixture sits on the hide. line the rim of the hole with tinfoil and place a che on it. The tinfoil will keep the plastic from melting.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I have a feeling that the plastic in the bucket is somewhat heat resistant. A CHE in the top would certianly make them comfy, but it would be hard to make it work. I have pieces of glass covering the enclosure and when Tank Girl digs down in the hide, I have to take it otu to get to her so she can get her soak. I'm not sure there is room for a che between the top of the hide and the glass, but maybe if I can get one of those short stemmed ones?

I am thinking that maybe lining the inside with a small heat mat might work?

It's a nice bucket for a hide... strong and big with room both for Tank Girl and Embers and finally Tank Girl isn't upending it and moving it around. Just a pity it gets too cool inside.

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I'm going to an expo this weekend. I'll look for heat panels or small ches or heat mats that might fit... I'm thinking narrow long, rather than square.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I think that maybe their lower appetit might have to do with the lower temps as well... they have been very happy eaters until I put in the new hide... well, a little less than when I first got them, but now they eat even less. It worries me. I didn't think the bucket would keep the heat away that much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the indoor enclosure, I made a hide out of a 20 litre plastic bucket. The kind used for mixing cement. It feels a bit too cool inside it. How do I make it warmer? I can't place a CHE inside.

What is "too cool"? What is the temperature inside the hide? What is the ambient outside the hide?

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
It's about 23 celcius behind the hide now, but was around 25 celcius with the two old smaller plastic bowls I used for hides. The thermostat is set to 30 celcius, but I think the temp under the che never goes above 29. I'm trying to find a safe way to add a second che without it falling down.
Lower temp during the night is one thing. When I was picking up Tank Girl from the hide yesterday, she felt colder than usual. It just doesn't feel right, Tom. I know I'm a bit sensitive to all this after the bad experiense with the tiny leo torts, but even if Tank Girl has a shell length of 19 cm, I don't want her to get an RI. Embers is smaller, but is more human friendly, so I can "call" him by scratching the hide and putting out some new food. They are eating less now, even leaving the dandelion leaves. I am worried, and I know if they are cold, they won't be active and they won't eat. If the hide blocks the heat from the che, then it doesn't matter what the "basking spot" temp is... they just won't come out.

I can build a hide from wood instead, just need to buy more, but if the wood blocks the temp as well, then I'm back to the same problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sounds like your glass cover makes your set up a "closed chamber", so I'm not sure how it can be 29-30 in some parts but 23 in your hide.

Where is the thermostat's probe? I set the probe in the coolest area, farthest away from the CHE. Maybe you need a higher wattage CHE?

In any case, you can easily add a radiant heat panel to the top of your hide. They make some that are 12x12" (30x30cm), but you'll have to measure to see if that will fit. You can also mount it over the hide, as they are pretty safe and don't over heat things too much.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
The thermostat probe is set under the CHE according to the instructions that came with it. It's one of those with a night eye as well, so it cools a little bit during the night.

It turns out, that the hide needed several days to heat up and get to the higher temp in the enclosure... a heat panel will help though, because the che is struggling a bit at the moment. If I remove the hide to clean it, I will have to wash it in hot water before I put it back so it doesn't take so long for it to get back to normal enclosure temps.

Thanks for your input, Tom, I really appreciate it!