How do these guys look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I am going to be getting on of these Sulcata babies, probably the small one with the blue dot on the shell.

How do you guys think they look?

Attachments

• 621234_367850169960734_69760685_o.jpg
    621234_367850169960734_69760685_o.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 152
  • 176095_366861166726301_10000311_o.jpg
    176095_366861166726301_10000311_o.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 153

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
In the closeup pic they look like they might be slightly pyramided.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought the same thing as jtrux. Can you get some more pics? Are they from a forum member? If not, we have a few that might have some for sale. Not sure though. Tom for sure would have some of the best. Also Neal, wheezy, Tyler of Tortoise Supply, OMG, to many to remember them all. I would check with some of them first, if these aren't already from a member.

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
California
Thanks for the input guys, some of the smaller ones not pictured are smooth. Wish i had
Pics to show you guys. I am going to try to get one of them, if not I will have to reconsider where I getting them from.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Also, it looks like they are eating fruit in pic 2. Fruit feeds or encourages the growth of parasites in torts. Even if you are getting a good deal, I would look to someone who feeds a better diet to their hatchling Sullys.

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
California
theresal said:
Also, it looks like they are eating fruit in pic 2. Fruit feeds or encourages the growth of parasites in torts. Even if you are getting a good deal, I would look to someone who feeds a better diet to their hatchling Sullys.

They are on a mainly green diet and only get fruit on rare occasions. Do have any suggestion on what questions I should ask that can be red flag warnings? I am getting one of these torts on a trade deal(side-note).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They have started some pyramiding, they are on the wrong substrate and they are eating the wrong foods.

This does not look good to me and I hate to see a new keeper start off on the wrong foot. It may turn out okay in the long run once you start caring for it properly, but why start at a disadvantage?

There are many sellers out in the world who start them well.

Questions you should ask:
How often are the babies soaked?
What substrate are hatchlings started on?
What foods are they started on?
Does the breeder use a brooder box, or leave them in the incubator until they absorb their yolk sacs?
What temps and humidity are the hatchlings kept in?
How often do they get sunshine?

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
California
Tom said:
They have started some pyramiding, they are on the wrong substrate and they are eating the wrong foods.

This does not look good to me and I hate to see a new keeper start off on the wrong foot. It may turn out okay in the long run once you start caring for it properly, but why start at a disadvantage?

There are many sellers out in the world who start them well.

Questions you should ask:
How often are the babies soaked?
What substrate are hatchlings started on?
What foods are they started on?
Does the breeder use a brooder box, or leave them in the incubator until they absorb their yolk sacs?
What temps and humidity are the hatchlings kept in?
How often do they get sunshine?

At this young of an age, under 4inches do they smooth out with proper care? I personally don't mind stating out a little at a disadvantage especially since I am not paying for the little baby, I also have a bit of rescuers complex.... Any tips on how to bring up to proper nutrition? Would supplements help?

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Terra_Girl said:
theresal said:

They are on a mainly green diet and only get fruit on rare occasions. Do have any suggestion on what questions I should ask that can be red flag warnings? I am getting one of these torts on a trade deal(side-note).
I would start with Tom's questions. He is more knowledgeable of Sulcata care than myself. But, I see your point. If you are making a trade then you don't have a choice other than not to make the trade. What are you trading if you don't mind my asking?

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
California
theresal said:
Terra_Girl said:
theresal said:

I would start with Tom's questions. He is more knowledgeable of Sulcata care than myself. But, I see your point. If you are making a trade then you don't have a choice other than not to make the trade. What are you trading if you don't mind my asking?

I am trading my pythons, as much as I love them my mom has hated them from the start and after they escaped one day she no longer wants them in the house, so I sat down and talked options with her. I told her how about a sulcata and told her how big they get and what they entail and she also loves tortoises so we agreed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, with time and effort you can slow or stop the pyramiding, but it takes great effort and some pretty extreme conditions in most cases. You will never make the existing pyramiding go away, but you can make the new growth start to come in smoother.

There is no way to assess what state the internal organs of those tortoises are in. We are just looking at a single pic and trying to speculate about what state things are in. I can make an educated guess based on previous experience, but it's just a guess.

Good nutrition, proper supplementation, good hydration, a proper indoor and outdoor set up will all help get him healthier and keep him that way.

Terra_Girl

5 Year Member
California
Thanks you guys for all the insight, I have learned so much today from all of you.

If I can I will post more pics and let you guys know how things go. Depending on how the questions I have are answered I will decided if I am going to get one of these little guys even though they may have a little pyramiding going on, nobody's perfect right? You can def. expect further questions from me :D

marcodicicco

5 Year Member
You are your own person. If you do or did buy one of the tortoises I hope u understand that you are condoning the care of the breeder. Not everyone is perfect so lets perpetuate that in things that effect us. Not in the care of animals that rely on us. It is nice of you to want to save living beings. But if this person sells all of their animals and profits, they will have an incentive to continue. If they have a surplus and are losing money they might think twice about there endeavors. Anyway I hope the best for you and your torts. I feel that whatever you decide is the right thing. After all they are living creatures. Just had to put in my "two cents" .

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Get the tort and try to make an agreement with the breeder that if it does within a certain amount of time, you want another one or something. I totally get where you're coming from about wanting to save it. Personally, I got my 2 yr old Sulcata a yr ago and she was pyramided and with the advice I got from THIS forum, she's made big improvements. Do what you think is best, and never look back!

This just came to me...do you want your pythons to go to someone who doesn't seem to know how to care for their pets properly?

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area

This just came to me...do you want your pythons to go to someone who doesn't seem to know how to care for their pets properly?
[/quote]

Oooh! Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.