How do you keep greens fresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Madcity, WI
I have recently ordered from reptileeats.com and received an awesome array of greens. I only have one russian tortoise so its hard for me to go through a whole bag before its starts going bad. Is there a way I can keep the greens a little more fresh? Can I freeze half the bag? Thanks

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I use a plastic container with a paper towel in the bottom.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I think freezing and thawing would turn the greens mushy?

What if you took smaller quaantities and placed then in a Ziploc baggie and got as much air out as you could and fed out a bit at a from from one bag?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I put them in a plastic container with a damp towel on top. I went through mine a lot faster than you will but that did keep mine nice.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I recall seeing a couple of years back, plastic baggie things just for keeping greens in. As I recall, it seems like they had holes for air exchange. Do they still make these? Do they actually work?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Those bags look great. So you use them yourself? Im always wondering if anyone really uses them and if they really work when I see something like that. I might just have to order some. Will be good for the tort greens/grasses as well as stuff for us from my garden this summer.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I too was wondering if they really worked. I'll try them now that I know someone who has used them.
Thanks for the info.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you watch the commercial closely ;) Not remembering the gas produced, but it's this gas being trapped with the produce that makes it go bad. So if your produce wasn't in a container and the gas just disapated, why do you need it in a bag that disapates the gas.
Greens that are still attached to the plant always last longer, Romaine lettuce for me can last over a week. Once you take it off the stem or stalk, it usually doesn't last past 5 or 6 days.
The key is to keep it dry. Any water on the leaves will make them rot. So keeping them in the plastic container with holes that they came in or a loose bag and just adding a piece of paper towel (changing it daily) will keep your greens fresher longer.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.