How do you make a good bond with Hermann tortoises?

TiffytheTort

Hi,I want to make a great bond with Tiffy, my tortoise. Is there a good way of doing it?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496004845.540720.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496004862.048826.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496004880.624370.jpg

Reactions: Huw

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Handle her gently leaving all 4 feet on the ground in a safe enclosure whenever possible, feed her properly and regularly and keep her healthy so you don't have to take her to a vet.

Torts are not social creatures. They don't bond like dogs. They don't need, want or particularly like company. They will learn to trust you. If you call that bonding then that's good :)

Huw

Liverpool
I defo think that Monty (7 year old Hermann) is sociable! I cant describe it any other way. He is always coming up to us, walking around us, rubbing up to us. Its lovely.
Give Tiffy time and he/she may be the same! Tiffy looks lovely by the way!

Huw

Liverpool
We adopted Monty from a loving family who letnhim wander about the house, which isnt recommended! But we sit with Monty and let him wander around us, and of course sit out in the garden with him on sunny days.
We were told he loves company and he really does! Im always reading that Torts arent sociable but i guess they are all different

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have been handling mine daily since their very early days (estimating they were no more than couple wks old on arrival). One of mine was not eating so I'd literally have to put him in front of his food pile to get him to eat. That, daily baths for the first 18 months, taking them outside every day for exercise in the sun, while walking outside I'd have to continually catch if not one then the other to keep them from getting away too far (this was bfr I had my Tortoise Garden all fenced in... you know, stuff like that, just spending time with them. I know it wouldn't be this same if they would pull inside their shell at any attempt of me touching them, but I think I'd still enjoy having them around. They are NOT domestic animals. I do like the idea of having them tame enough to not mind being handled, picked up, held, touched, and mine seem to thoroughly enjoy their coco oil massage.