how friendly are russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
do they greet you like a puppy? :)

Tab

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Not mine, even after a year if you approach him too quickly he ducks his head in and makes a funny hissing sound. He is fine if you walk and move slowly.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My russians are very friendly, they love to have thier heads and neck scratched. They also crawl all over my office when I am doing things. If you purchase a CB Russian you will probabley have a friendlier tort. If they are wc they will be shy and not as friendly, but if you handle them frequently they might get friendlier. As for the strange hissing sound.. That is the turtle or tort going back into the shell, if they go quickly it makes a hissing sound.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes it is so cute. In fact my boxies enjoy a scratch or two as well. I love my russians, they are sociable and they don't get huge, plus they love to run around my office and hide behind my computer. They love to come in for a visit.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Most russians are indeed Friendly, like hermanns.
However, if you do not hang around the tortoise often they will be rather frightened of any other life (dogs, cats, ferrets, humans..)

A

atoccy

I have 3 russians!
They are getting friendlier all the time! To me that is!
Russians can be aggressive towards each other!

Wendy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All of my Russians are friendly. It's not like with a puppy, atleast not mine. I don't think they come to me more for attention, I think the reason they are so friendly is to get me to bring them more food. The RES and sidenecks seem to associate anything human with food, but the torts seem to do more sorting out who really brings food and who just happens to walk by. I also think the chubbyness appearance and cute faces make us believe they are friendlier.

They do get my vote as the most personalable of the torts.

tortoiseluv

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My russian is sooo afectionate! I think she's more like a dog with a shell! She's always running around her enclosure and yes, she also does enjoy having her neck scratched. RT have such big personalities, I think just like a dog. They can be picky, they have their favorite foods, and listen and interact with you!

taobear

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
josh said:
do they greet you like a puppy? :)

Our russian is just a baby but when she hears you in the room she scoots to the side of the enclosure to make sure you know she's there and life is even better is you pick her up and carry her around with you. She loves her head and chin scratched and the sides of her shell rubbed. She also loves to sit on the window seat and look outside [it's too cold for her to be out now]. I had no idea that these little ones would be so much fun!

drummerkid1993

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Horsfields have then reputation of being one of the friendliest tortoise there is!

but not as friendly as a puppy, unless you have food with you of course

tasha3711

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wiltshire. u.k
My two russians know their name i'm sure of it, they stand still & look up at me when i call their names. They also know when the food plate goes down! Good little listeners! They are good fun to watch & love to come out & exercise & explore. Also don't mind their heads stroked.

catfish

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OKC, OK
Gazpacho my RT loves to have his head scratched, he will even come to me when he is tired and a little nervous. I've watched tv for about an hour with him on my chest resting.

I'm pretty sure he is wild caught, but has adapted really well. He knows who I am and rarely does the "hiss," but if anyone else touches him or he sees them.... he pulls in and refuses to say "hello"

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Once they've been around you long enough, they will greet you and beg for food :cool:. It takes a while though for wild caught.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I really consider russian tortoises to be mini sulcatas in pretty much every way. They even burrow like sulcatas. So yes they are friendly. But once you put them in large outdoor enclosures they love to hide

Minotaur

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Marquette, MI
I've found female Russians to be friendlier than the males, I've had a few keepers come through the zoo and say this as well so I'm probably not the only one out there with the problem. My boy Genbu is kind of lazy and ignores me, but will usually accept hand-feeding. My gal Musou on the other hand will walk all around me, act very curious, and rush toward me in anticipation of being fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.