How important is a Humid box if my Tortoises get soaked daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobiM

5 Year Member
Hi there, I'm new to this site and quite amazed that "yes there is an app" for that as well!
I have 4 Baby Tortoises 2 Sulcata and 2 Leopards....
So I have been reading up on the soaking, their burrowing in the wild etc. And all I get are mixed messages. Some people say they keep theirs extra moist, others just soak them and again others have a humid hideaway for them. And then too much water is not good either as it is a dessert species! Obviously I want to do the right thing... At this point I have been soaking them daily and they seem to like that quite a bit! They don't have a water dish anymore in there cage. As again I got mixed messages. Some say don't put one in and others do have one. To many experts and opinions.
Help please :) Tobi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tobi, and welcome to the Forum!

You get too many opinions because there is no one way to raise tortoises. You have to try them all and see which way works for you and your tortoise in your climate.

I just keep the substrate moist. I don't have a humid hide. But then, I don't have many babies. As long as you don't allow a wet baby to get cold, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you like the humid hide idea, then go with that.

Its good to soak the babies daily, however, once they're dry, then their dry until the next time you soak them. That's why I soak daily PLUS have the substrate moist too. So a daily soak along with a humid hide would be good. Whichever way works out best for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. We have reached a point in sulcata husbandry where the old is clashing with the new. This is why you see so much conflicting info. I used the old way for two decades and it failed every time. I now use the new way and it succeeds every time. I would look for somebody who is producing the level of health and appearance that you want to see in your tortoise and attempt to emulate THAT style.

In my signature are many links for sulcata info. Much of it is my opinion based on my years or research and trial and error. Sulcatas are NOT desert animals. That hatch at the start of the hot wet humid rainy season over there. The only hatchling that I know of that have ever been seen in the wild were all found near marshes during the rainy season. While there is a dry season too, sulcatas of any age are not seen above ground during this time. They are underground in damp, humid burrows that they have filled with food. This is straight from a man who lives in sulcata territory and has been studying them nearly his whole life. Not something I read or made up. Given all that, I like to use a humid substrate, a humid hide box, a water bowl, give daily soaks and spray their shells with water several times a day. I also keep them warm. No lower than 80 at any time. I keep this regime up for the first year or two, depending on their size, and then they get moved outside depending on their size.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree with tom, the first 2 years are the ones that need the humidity. This is how i kept mine.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I personally think some folks get carried away with making everything humid and soaking so often. I go a bit more toward what I think is natural. I have the damp substrate and I offer a water dish at all times. I rarely do the forced soaks, as I think even a hatchling should be smart enough to know when it wants and needs to soak. ;) Most often there is no "humid" hide, but I do have a hide available for them that is on the side kept the most moist but it is open more then a "humid" hide would be.

Like was said before, we each keep our tortoises in different ways and can still end up with the same results. You need to consider you, your tortoise, where YOU live, how you have YOUR tortoise set up and go from there.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would offer a water dish for sure. I dont soak mine every day but I soak them sometimes.

TobiM

5 Year Member
Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and for the info! I guess there really is not one way alone, but what Tom said makes sense. Most animals raise the baby's in a season of plenty.... When there is lots of food avail. And the climate is right. I will moisten my substrate more often. So far they seem to thrive. And like I read in one of Toms other post's my Sulcata don't dig either - at least not jet. They love to hide in hey they have in their enclosure or sit under their coconut shells... I cut an opening so they can easily get in and out of it.
Thanks again for all the support!
Tobi

Status
Not open for further replies.