Daily soaks

bsstovel

Location (City and/or State)
Tustin, CA
Hi All,

I have a yearling Sulcata whom I soak every day for 30-45 minutes at about 85°f - 95°f (I change out the water about every 15 mins to keep it warm). Frankie (my yearling Sulcata) seems to love his soaks. He sits in there and he sprawls out and looks totally relaxed.

My question is, at what age do I sort of taper down on daily soaks? Or is it okay to just keep soaking him daily? Or should I train him to use his water dish in his enclosure to soak?

Thanks!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi All,

I have a yearling Sulcata whom I soak every day for 30-45 minutes at about 85°f - 95°f (I change out the water about every 15 mins to keep it warm). Frankie (my yearling Sulcata) seems to love his soaks. He sits in there and he sprawls out and looks totally relaxed.

My question is, at what age do I sort of taper down on daily soaks? Or is it okay to just keep soaking him daily? Or should I train him to use his water dish in his enclosure to soak?

Thanks!
I soaked my young tortoises daily until they were 3 or 4 years old. They do seem to like it. After they got bigger, I cut back on the soaks to once a week or thereabouts.

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
I soaked my young tortoises daily until they were 3 or 4 years old. They do seem to like it. After they got bigger, I cut back on the soaks to once a week or thereabouts.

Awesome, I will continue his soaks then until he's too large to fit in my sink. Thank you!

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
That is where I had to soak many of my adult Radiated Tortoises during the winters. I had an old porcelain clawfoot tub built into the countertop in my dedicated tortoise room specifically for that purpose. You can see it in this photo:

View attachment 312875

Dang! That's awesome!

I love seeing tortoise owners taking such good care of their little buddies :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

Thanks!
I agree. You can soak them every day forever if you want to. It will do no harm. My general rule is to soak them every day until they reach 100 grams, then I start skipping a day once in a while. By the time they are 8-10" I soak them every other day, or so. As adults, once or trice a week in summer, less in winter.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I still soak my redfoot (now 22) most days. Some days I get too busy, but I try to do it. She soaks in the bathtub these days.