Soakings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I Soak Tyrone every other day... Usually for about a half hour, every time after I soak him and put him back on his enclosure he goes straight to his clean water and soaks some more, should I leave him in the soak longer? I worry about the water cooling and him getting cold... And let's not forget when he kept trying to sleep in his water dish!

I know I am a worry wart!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Watsonpartyof4 said:
I Soak Tyrone every other day... Usually for about a half hour, every time after I soak him and put him back on his enclosure he goes straight to his clean water and soaks some more, should I leave him in the soak longer? I worry about the water cooling and him getting cold... And let's not forget when he kept trying to sleep in his water dish!

I know I am a worry wart!
If you're referring to the Redfoot in your profile pic then the above actions are probably an indication that it is being kept too dry. Either the substrate or air humidity, or both may be too dry. Redfoots require a higher, more constant moisture and humidity level than species from temperate and climates. They are evolved to live in high humidity conditions. What temperatures and ambient air humidity level are you keeping your tortoise at? Also what type of substrate and how dry or moist is it? How about lighting? What type, how long?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Longer soaks won't hurt anything. When I do long soaks, I usually do it somewhere warm, like inside tha enclosure sometimes, and I refresh the water with warm water as needed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup....check your humidity levels for the redfoot....as well as long warm luxurious soaks ----who wouldn't want to.... :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Why do a longer forced soaking, rather then just doing what you are now and letting him decide how much longer he wants to soak? Is there a reason you don't want him soaking in his own water? Another thing I would look at is he doing okay otherwise? You have been told he may be kept too dry and that is a really common problem, but also a tortoise who starts spending a lot of extra time in the water may either be trying to cool off or may actually be becoming sick. So those are two more things to just keep an eye on and to check out.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
His substrate is a mix of shredded coconut nuggets and ground coconut. I keep it moist and mist it daily. the top layer always drys out , of course. I don't have anything to measure humidity.

I soak him until he goes to the side of the container and tries to climb out... I don't care that he soaks in his own water, I just thought it was an odd thing... I just think it is a quirk of his... Almost like a final rinse!

Just had him at the vet to get his beak trimmed and vet said he is a healthy and we seem to be doing everything right...

I am a worrier... Thanks everyone!

Tom said:
Longer soaks won't hurt anything. When I do long soaks, I usually do it somewhere warm, like inside tha enclosure sometimes, and I refresh the water with warm water as needed.

That's what I do too, I refresh the water with warm water. I think it is just a quirk of his..To get back into his water ..

I like to do the soaks in a container. For three reasons...
One is I usually let him loose in the kitchen so he can roam around for exercise...especially on days when we don't get to go outside because of the weather.. Other wise we go out side then come in and soak
Two .. The kitchen sink is right there, and I can add more warm water...
Three.. I usually spend the time he is in the soak spot cleaning his enclosure. Washing food and water dishes again putting clean water in his dish and fresh greens in his bowl

I guess there is a fourth reason too....I get to pick him up and make sure he is ok! I check him out! I am a big fan of "forced soakings" for that reason alone.

If I am not doing something right, I am glad I have you guys for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.