Soaks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. I give Oli a daily soak no matter how cold it is, so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration; due to the fact that I live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry. He enjoys his soaks so long as the water is warm. I also spray Oli's enclosure with water each and every day.

My question is: if he's asleep, would you people advise me to wake him up so as to give him a soak? I just do not like to disturb him particularly when temp is so low. Today it fell to only 5 deg C during the day and snow is expected tonight. At the same time the dry climate here worries me, particularly after having seen pics of torts with pyramided shells. And once it's there, one cannot do anything about it. One can only stop it where it is - nothing more.

I do realize that pyramiding would not take place within 24, 48 hours, but it's worrying me all the same.

Advice/comments would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm guessing Oli full grown or at least close to it so you don't need to worry much about pyramiding, Also larger (Adult) torts do not need soaked daily even in dryer climate and I'm sure he has access to water in his enclosure at all times.

The outside climate shouldn't effect him much since he lives inside, so I don't think you need to worry about daily soaks. Let him sleep and soak him when his awake.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm guessing Oli full grown or at least close to it so you don't need to worry much about pyramiding, Also larger (Adult) torts do not need soaked daily even in dryer climate and I'm sure he has access to water in his enclosure at all times.

The outside climate shouldn't effect him much since he lives inside, so I don't think you need to worry about daily soaks. Let him sleep and soak him when his awake.

Thank you very much the advise and the re-assuring words. What a relief! Believe me, pyramiding has become a PHOBIA.

Yep, Oli is fully grown. Water is always available in his enclosure.

In that case, I'll leave him to sleep like I did today. I did not give him the daily soak, and for this reason I decided to post this thread.

Once again thanks a lot your help.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thank you very much the advise and the re-assuring words. What a relief! Believe me, pyramiding has become a PHOBIA.

Yep, Oli is fully grown. Water is always available in his enclosure.

In that case, I'll leave him to sleep like I did today. I did not give him the daily soak, and for this reason I decided to post this thread.

Once again thanks a lot your help.
and He looks amazing in the profile picture.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Oli isn't at any risk of pyramiding. The soaks are good to make sure he is hydrated, but he's a mature tortoise - pyramiding is no longer something you need to spend time worrying about. Letting him miss a day or two of soaking is perfectly fine.

I know we've talked about this before - but your flat is still climate controlled, yes? When it's 5C outside, what is the temperature inside in Oli's enclosure?