How is this possible?

kambcba

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Not my tort.

Everything I have read and been told is that pyramiding is not reversible. It can be prevented and can be stopped from getting any worse but someone has just posted this pic saying that he’s looking so much better in only 1 month.

Where has the pyramiding gone?

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 6

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The pyramiding is still there, just not apparent from the angle of those pictures. The first picture has the light or sun at a fairly low angle. (notice the shadows) So the pyramiding is more apparent. The second shot has the lighting directly overhead and the pyramiding is less apparent. The only way to really judge pyramiding is from tortoise level side pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with Mark. As bad as the pyramidimg is, it won't look good until the tort is much larger.
Pyramiding can not be reversed. With proper care it can be stopped and if not too bad, will not appear as bad when tort has grown a lot.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I thought it was 2 different tortoises because one is more narrow

zovick

10 Year Member!
I thought it was 2 different tortoises because one is more narrow
Good observation. The animals in the two pix do look different from one another.

Do you think the post was some kind of a "test" to see if anyone picked up on the fact that two different tortoises were pictured or do you now believe there is just one shown in different lighting?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
They look the same to me based on the shape/overlap of the edge scutes for areas that have unique shape to them (see red boxes). I do think its a different angle and lighting of the same tort.

Anyone who does selfies on IG can tell you even a slight change of angle can make all the difference in the world of looking like two different people. This link is a good comparison of photos posted by models who show what they look like in the "curated" photo vs what they look like in the photos that aren't used (note: some of these are bikini pics so some might find them NSFW-ish):

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
They look the same to me based on the shape/overlap of the edge scutes for areas that have unique shape to them (see red boxes). I do think its a different angle and lighting of the same tort.

Anyone who does selfies on IG can tell you even a slight change of angle can make all the difference in the world of looking like two different people. This link is a good comparison of photos posted by models who show what they look like in the "curated" photo vs what they look like in the photos that aren't used (note: some of these are bikini pics so some might find them NSFW-ish):

You are probably right, but the two photos are somewhat deceiving, either accidentally or purposefully. Only the OP knows which is the case.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Wow, big differences. I need to take a selfie class. I could lose the weight I want to lose by just taking the correct angle selfie lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I also think they don't look like
the same tortoise and would need to see more pictures from different angles.

Reactions: Ink

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Same tortoise in both shots. LIghting very different and it looks like the 2nd photo used a zoom function which also flattens the look of things. My first though was to check if the same tortoise. If you compare any unique markings you can see at all in the areola of the scutes - it is the same. Several unique marking that match.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Same tortoise in both shots. LIghting very different and it looks like the 2nd photo used a zoom function which also flattens the look of things. My first though was to check if the same tortoise. If you compare any unique markings you can see at all in the areola of the scutes - it is the same. Several unique marking that match.
I agree with Mark's assessment. I also noticed the crooked scale on the outside of the front left foot.

In addition to the lighting change and zoom, I think there might be a little more than a month between these pics.

To be able to judge the degree of change in the pyramiding, we'd need shots taken in profile, not from the top.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Not my tort.

Everything I have read and been told is that pyramiding is not reversible. It can be prevented and can be stopped from getting any worse but someone has just posted this pic saying that he’s looking so much better in only 1 month.

Where has the pyramiding gone?
The only real difference I see is the lighting. The same pyramiding is there. It's just not as obvious because sun is directly overhead in the second picture so it isn't casting angled shadows between the bumps on the shell.