How large of an enclosure for 3 ADULT Leos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I am thinking about adding a couple of Leos (for a total of 3) in the next year and I am trying to make sure I have the yard space for 3 adults. What size would you recommend for 3 ADULT leopard tortoises? Thanks for the help!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
As large as you can make it. Just to throw an arbitrary number out there I'd say 2,500 sq. ft. That's just me and I like a lot of space for my tortoises. Others may recommend smaller areas, it's all up to you.

What is the male/female ratio of the group you're getting? If you are getting 2 males and 1 female, I would say double that. The male's are going to harass that female (unless you have others to begin with?) and you will want to separate them. If it's 1 male and 2 females, I think they would do ok in a smaller area.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I am hoping for 2 females and 1 male. I am hoping I can get away with less! I have a completely fences yard and (once full grown) they should be able to wander, when I am outside.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are the adults not full grown? or are you getting babies and just thinking ahead?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I agree with Neal. I was actually going to say something like 50x50 which turns out to be 2500sq feet. I think with three adults youneed to make sure you have a big enough area that they won't wear it down to quickly.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
Wow, that is big. If I were to just turn them loose in my yard (as adults) is a chain link fence enough to keep them in? I know they are not diggers and tend to not be aggressive, but would that be enough?

I'd love to see pics of your adult enclosures, if you have any, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble :)

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Depending on how secure that fence is yea it may be enough, but as for security from other animals or dogs in the area? You might need something more...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
solid fence they cant see thru is best..

and they need a secure yard.. dont depend on yourself to stand there or always be watching for a few hours at a time when they are outside and young.. Build a secure outdoor pen for them.. start small and expand as they grow.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I have a secure enclosure for the small/medium ones. Like I said earlier, just trying to think ahead :) They would be secured at night (shed/inside?), even as adults.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have about 2500 square feet for 3 almost adult leos and they can wear it down quickly, especially if we don't get much rain. They roam and choose their territories nicely, and eat everything in sight so don't plan on having nice plants and bushes because they will eat them.

Also think about people when talking about security. A chain link fence allows people to see your torts, which may lead to theft. I have a wood fence and I lock the gate just in case. Predators can be both anuimals and humans these days unfortunately.

Good luck, it is nice to look outside and see big torts wandering across your yard. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the above. The more space the better, but turn your yard into a secure pen. They need a visual barrier along the bottom of the chain link. You can use plywood. If you cut a 4x8' sheet into 3 16" high sections (most hardware stores will cut it for you), that will give you 24' with each sheet of ply wood. Then just tack it up to the fence. You could also use 2x12" planks the same way. Luckily, leopards do not usually dig much. They are not burrowers. Most of us have seen them kept in a smaller are, but like Neal, I prefer to give them as much space as I can. I have a group of 13 yearling leopards and their outdoor pen is 40x15' roughly. As they get older and bigger, I'll start separating them out into smaller groups in bigger pens with night shelters.

Where do you live? Your climate and temps will dictate whether or not it would be advisable to leave them out at night with a heated shelter.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It really depends where you live. In Arizona, you might need a much larger area simply to get graze areas, since the climate is arid. In Ohio, where I live they can do more grazing, in a smaller area, and the graze regrows very quickly. I have to weed wack pens in the summer.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How big is your backyard?!?!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.