How long before baby sulcata no longer hides from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've posted in a few other threads that I found a small 4-5" sulcata in my driveway about a week ago. Someone probably released or lost his/her tort recently. In any case, I have it in a large plastic tub and it seems to be doing well, but it still hides from people whenever someone gets close. Whether it be eating, basking or just walking around, when I take a look, it'll hide its head into its shell. If I reach out, it'll hide all its legs too.

I've been feeding it and doing regular lukewarm water soaks in a small tub. When I pick it up (supporting carapace with my palm), it'll sometimes stick its head out but any quick movements with my head and it hides again. This guy probably isn't used to being handled, or maybe experienced some trauma recently. Someone mentioned that when a tortoise bobs its head and legs up and down, that's a sign of heavy breathing and stress. My guy will do that sometimes.

I've read posts of people's torts seeking out their owners in search for food, wanting to be handled... that's what I want my tort to do. What can I do to reach that goal, and how long before that happens?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Dave! You're going to have to get that "I'm hungry for tortoise meat" look off your face!! Seriously, your tort is a prey animal, and it might take a while for him to understand that you are not going to eat him. Handle him gently, be patient, and he will come to see you as the provider of all good things. As an individual, he may never reach the level of puppy-dog interaction some people get from their torts, but he should at least become more comfortable with you over time.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It just takes time, my hatchling that I have had for three weeks is still a bit nervous so he won't eat if we are watching him. Everyday we are able to do a little more. He used to hide in his shell when we would pick him up to soak him, and now he walks around in our hands, and his confidence improves then we will be able to do more and eventually hand feed him.

The more time you spend around him/her the faster it will get used to you, but just give it some time, who knows how the previous owner treated him/her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got two hatchlings last summer from Tom and they still run for the hills when they see me coming.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It Takes Time, you just have to be patient and handle him very softly like a baby!
He will come around, My baby sulcata is used to being handled thus he doesnt get to scared!
I handle him when i bath him everyday and put him outside on sunny days in his pen!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We've had RV for 10+ years now (got her as a hatchling) and it was a long time before she became interested in us; not running or hiding.. give it time, give your tort treats *sparingly* ... in time she may probably come around. Then again, are female torts more friendly/interactive than males??

my thoughts...

teri

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Wow, I'm surprised at all these responces. Fascinating stuff all thanks for sharing.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
They are individuals, I have 2 one took a few weeks and the other took about 6 months. Now I have had them for almost 10 months and they do not run from me or my dog who barks at them constantly. Fred the larger one will stand at the fence right in front of my dog and just stare at her, he is fearless now. I think my dog will be in trouble in a few years when he is big enough to ram her.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Southern California
The closest thing I've had to this is goldfish, which have the Pavlovian response to people-- when they see people, they know food is coming. I have my tort on grass in the container (I should change it to something not from the hardware store to get rid of the chemicals, though...); I wonder if the fact that food is available at all times makes feeding it "treats" less crucial. That is, I'm not sure my tort even needs my extra "treats".

So far, I've been taking it out to soak every day or every other day. When I hold it, it is half hidden in its shell. I tried stroking its legs like some folks have done, and it immediately hid completely into its shell. Not ready for that, I guess.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have had some that took days and some that years and still runs....

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
It all depends on the tortoise, some of boxies thou have never been shy-even as hatchlings. I have 2 little softshells though, 1 immediately connected with me, but the other in the same situation still prefers to hide. It just takes time.. .and sometimes a little bribery.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I hand feed my tortoise a snack every day. It is completely unnessesary but i like to. She definitely associates me with food and comes over to check out what goodies I have. I have noticed that when she can graze in her outside enclosure she is much less interested in me. Time and as other post's have said a little bribery should hopefully do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My strategy is to just not worry about it and calmly go about my business with them. They tend to get more friendly and outgoing with age and size. In my experience males are generally more "personable" than females, but they are all individuals. RV, Teri and Mary's tortoise, is a notable exception. She is very outgoing and personable. As much as any male I've ever seen. None of my four females are that way. All of my males have always been that way.

If you want to specifically work on it, you could reduce the amount of food he gets for a few days and then start trying to hand feed him some favorites. You may have to sit there, very still with food in outstretched hand for 10-15 minutes at first, but once it happens, they usually come around pretty quick.

When the weeds are sprouting, my adults are a lot less interested in interacting. When summer is in full swing, and all the weeds are long gone, then they follow me like puppies, begging for food.

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Ridgefield, WA
We have two Sulcata's both as new babies. We have been very hands on with them since we got them. We try to hold them and pet there head everyday. They are very friendly and my 4 year old newphew holds them all the time and they even let him pet them no problem. They will strech there head out for a scratch if we come into there area it's really cute! Edger is now 1 1/2 and James is only 5 months old, they were a little shy for the first two weeks. It will take time just keep it up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.