How long can a leo hold its breath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nematoad1998

5 Year Member
While bathing my 18 month old leopard, i notice she was able to hold her head underwater for a while. Does anyone know exactly how long approximately leopards can hold their breath?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
nematoad1998 said:
While bathing my 18 month old leopard, i notice she was able to hold her head underwater for a while. Does anyone know exactly how long approximately leopards can hold their breath?

I would be curious to find out the exact amount of time, too, because I have noticed many species of turtle (including box turtles and tortoises) not breathing for several minutes at a time, sometimes even while just sitting there on land, apparently just because they can.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I don't know the answer, but I once had a near drowning incident with several hatchlings, and they held their breath for a long time! It was at least an hour, maybe longer ... so they can hold it for quite a while.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Ive seen it posted on a site stating due to the possibility of them getting rain filling up a burrow they may be sleeping in, that they can hold their breath for up to 10 min.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have no idea the limitations of their breath holding and imagine it would be a tragic experiment to find out. I do know sulcatas can go hours without suffering any damage from anoxia so I would imagine it is similar for leopards.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WOW!
I've never experianced this with WalkingRock, but he's too big to be accidently submerged...now.

I would imagine, holding ones breath is TOTALLY a reptile thing! There's a reason these guys (reptiles) have been around since the Dawn of Time!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Turtles breathe very little when underground, where oxygen levels are low and CO2 levels are high. And yet, they're fine with it.

Turtles hardly respire at all when brumating. That's why we can keep them in a fridge all winter long, with only a small tube to connect them to the ambient atmosphere, or only opening the door every couple of days.

Pond turtles actually hibernate underwater, and don't come up for air the whole time. They exchange all the gases they need to through blood vessels in their cloaca. Now that's impressive!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
No wonder they've been around forever, they don't even need the O2 the rest of us take for granite! ;)

boutselis

5 Year Member
Well this is a treat. I logged on to ask about this very question. Or more to the point I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed their leopards holding their heads under water.

Olivia has been seen, on several occasions, putting her head under water after a drink and just leaving it there. Her eyes and nose completely covered. It seemed like 5 minutes one time.

I thought it was really odd behavior for a tortoise but now I guess it may not be.

Does anyone else's leopard like to play under water ?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
3_1279735863_swimming-leopard-tortoise.jpg

Heres a Leo swimming in
Hoedspruit, South Africa

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was waiting for the swimming leo picture to show up.

boutselis

5 Year Member
That picture is great.

I have been told several times that leopard torts can't swim. I just believed it even though their shells look like they would displace plenty of water to stay afloat.

Seeing Olivia likes to dunk her head under water then maybe she is longing for a pond to play in.

Status
Not open for further replies.