How Long Can a Redfoot Hold its Breath Underwater?

Evereigh Mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I had a very scary experience last night.

We were expecting a moderate storm surge due to a king tide coinciding with a very heavy storm (Gulf Coast of Florida), but the water rose much higher than anticipated; even higher than any of the hurricanes I've been through here. By sheer coincidence I woke up at @1:30 am--which was 15 minutes before peak high tide--and while turning out the light on the front porch, I noticed the water was like a lake around the property. Next I spotted the tortoise pen, and the water level was about a foot up the side.

I ran down the steps and through the brackish water half-awake as I readied myself for pulling out six dead Cherryhead tortoises, but--behold--I fished every single one out of the 12' x 5' pen ALIVE.

Not that I'm complaining of course, but how is this possible? Judging by the rate the water was rising, they must have been underwater for at least 20 minutes. I put them in cramped 15gal plant containers and left them safely in the garage with food & water; they seem fine today.

Googling "how long can a redfoot hold its breath underwater" yields nothing at all redfoot-specific, so I am hoping someone here can chime in with the answer.

I never would have lived that down.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They certainly swim, but I don't know how long they can stay underwater without needing to come to the surface to breathe. Longer than us, for sure! That's quite an experience you had. Glad all is well!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
a portion of the amazon forest is underwater for a large part of the year , yellowfoot tortoises inhabit these areas, places where other land animals are not found , areas that are underwater for half of the year ...... i would think redfoots may inhabit similar areas or have at least adapted to survive floods......

Evereigh Mann

5 Year Member
FL
They do have the capability to swim they just are not naturally aquatic. It's possible they were above water before you found them.

Interesting--thank you, Mojo 1.

I thought of that, but I was unable to find any reference or internet photo of a redfoot swimming. What's curious is that every single one of the six was at the bottom of the inundated pen when I pulled them out. Fishing around in that brackish water in pitch black while holding the heavy top flap of the pen open (power was out) had to have been the worst minute of my life in recent memory. It would have haunted me forever if any of them had drowned as a result of being helplessly trapped in that chamber.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Interesting--thank you, Mojo 1.

I thought of that, but I was unable to find any reference or internet photo of a redfoot swimming. What's curious is that every single one of the six was at the bottom of the inundated pen when I pulled them out. Fishing around in that brackish water in pitch black while holding the heavy top flap of the pen open (power was out) had to have been the worst minute of my life in recent memory. It would have haunted me forever if any of them had drowned as a result of being helplessly trapped in that chamber.
That would indeed be a haunting memory to have.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
A while ago, while searching for resources on treating frostbite in tortoises, I came across an article detailing one or two accounts of tortoises being fished out of 40 degree ponds after hours or days and making full recoveries. I have not been able to locate this article since finding it, but I really wish I could, because it was very interesting. So glad everything turned out okay!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A while ago, while searching for resources on treating frostbite in tortoises, I came across an article detailing one or two accounts of tortoises being fished out of 40 degree ponds after hours or days and making full recoveries. I have not been able to locate this article since finding it, but I really wish I could, because it was very interesting. So glad everything turned out okay!
I've seen first hand a "dead" tortoise do a total re-set in about 48 hours. A Redfoot. Not a tortoise that hibernates.
While I'm not sure that it is the same type of stasis as holding its breath or in recovering from near freezing. They do seem to have the ability to shut down entirely will no permanent ill effects when they need to.
They are really fascinating

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I've seen first hand a "dead" tortoise do a total re-set in about 48 hours. A Redfoot. Not a tortoise that hibernates.
While I'm not sure that it is the same type of stasis as holding its breath or in recovering from near freezing. They do seem to have the ability to shut down entirely will no permanent ill effects when they need to.
They are really fascinating
They really are awesome. Definitely glad I chose this animal to obsess over for the rest of my life :p