How much cuttlebone powder for baby sulcata

Rijal

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta, Indonesia
However i do plan on getting another water dish but I am going to fill it with either coco husk or plantation soil from exoterra when he/she gets bigger as he/she gets more used to it and is less vulnerable to infections and sicknesses and i will be planning on upgrading the enclosure
Hi @Justincl, welcome to TFO from fellow Indonesian.
I know the majority of information you found here contradict everything you were told before by breeders, people on youtube, instagram, etc. However, you should see the photo of tortoise raised by the method here vs the majority of tortoise raised in our country which are badly pyramided. So, please give it a try.

I am using closed glass tank, plantation soil substrate topped with coco husk, achieving almost 99% humidity, and so far haven't faced infections, respiratory issues, etc. The key is to keep the temperature high enough. See your thermometer there, it is only 31C on basking site. The target should be 35-37 C under basking.

Don't get tortoise table, get a closed custom terarrium, and get it big (a lot of tortoise table are too small). It is very easy to keep humidity and heat that way.

Teddokun

Jakarta
Hi @Justincl, welcome to TFO from fellow Indonesian.
I know the majority of information you found here contradict everything you were told before by breeders, people on youtube, instagram, etc. However, you should see the photo of tortoise raised by the method here vs the majority of tortoise raised in our country which are badly pyramided. So, please give it a try.

I am using closed glass tank, plantation soil substrate topped with coco husk, achieving almost 99% humidity, and so far haven't faced infections, respiratory issues, etc. The key is to keep the temperature high enough. See your thermometer there, it is only 31C on basking site. The target should be 35-37 C under basking.

Don't get tortoise table, get a closed custom terarrium, and get it big (a lot of tortoise table are too small). It is very easy to keep humidity and heat that way.

Rijal -

Thanks for the info.

Few questions:
1. Where do you get the plantation soil substrate?
2. Do you wash or clean the coco husk and the soil substrate? If yes, how often do you do so?

I build my own torto table using wood. On the floor I use pvc. I put plastic carpet and coco husk on top of it.

There are 2 section of the table, outdoor for basking and indoor chamber. I wonder if this is OK.

Feedback are welcome.

Thank you.

Ps. Another newbie from Indonesia. IMG_20201018_165931.jpgIMG_20201018_165940.jpg

Teddokun

Jakarta
BTW this is temporary enclosure. I'm building similar 3 story drawer to split the torto that I have. I should have researched before jumping into torto world.

Your feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you
Ted

Rijal

Jakarta, Indonesia
Rijal -

Thanks for the info.

Few questions:
2. Do you wash or clean the coco husk and the soil substrate? If yes, how often do you do so?

I build my own torto table using wood. On the floor I use pvc. I put plastic carpet and coco husk on top of it.

There are 2 section of the table, outdoor for basking and indoor chamber. I wonder if this is OK.

Feedback are welcome.

Thank you.

Ps. Another newbie from Indonesia.

Hi Ted,

1. It's sold in many places, but I got it from Tokopedia. Just search "Exoterra Plantation Soil". It is basically coco peat/coir so you can also buy brand less alternatives
2. Do you mean cleaning for maintenance? I only do spot cleaning when I see poop/food leftover. I let springtails do their job in decomposing unseen waste (those tiny white bugs, they are harmful and important for the ecosystem)

Is your enclosure good or not?
- Please check your temperature and humidity of the ambient, inside the hide, and right under basking lamp.
- You should change those water dish, it is too small and dangerous. Use terracotta pot saucer
- Those uvb coil sometimes burns tortoise's eyes, I see a lot of cases in facebook groups. Change it to the t5 bulb or if you can sun them for few hours a day, few days a week, then you wouldn't need additional UVB. I sun mine an hour a day and use no uvb in the enclosure. We are blessed with fine weather and access to sun all year long.
- I don't know the dimension but I think it is too small for your greek and your sulcata will outgrow it quickly and you have 3 sulcatas as well

For details, you should check Tom's caresheet for sulcata and also the one for temperate species (Greek)

Justincl

Jakarta
Hi guys i'm back i have a question I have some bamboo in front of my house and i was wondering if baby sulcatas can eat them. However,i am worried that its not sterile or tortoises can't eat them

Attachments

• 16031874425217624671010398765326.jpg
    16031874425217624671010398765326.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rijal -

Thanks for the info.

Few questions:

Feedback are welcome.

Thank you.

Ps. Another newbie from Indonesia.

1. NEVER mix species.
2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Groups of juveniles of the same species can usually work for a while, but not pairs.
3. Your open topped table is going to be much too dry. Your baby will pyramid.

Teddokun

Jakarta
Thanks Tom

1. I'm building separate enclosure for them right now. Hope I can finish this in a week or two.

2. Refer to point 1 above

3. I checked my humidity it ranges between 65-77%. Any recommendation for me to increase the humidity?

Regards

Justincl

Jakarta
Oye Tom if i spray my baby silcata on its shell is it safe? Because i have heard that if they are not deied after soaking or are wet they will get flu is it true?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3. I checked my humidity it ranges between 65-77%. Any recommendation for me to increase the humidity?
You need a closed camber instead of an open topped low-sided table. No way to keep humidity in with an open top.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oye Tom if i spray my baby silcata on its shell is it safe? Because i have heard that if they are not deied after soaking or are wet they will get flu is it true?
Spray them all day, just don't let them get COLD and damp at the same time. If the enclosure temps are always 80 and above, the baby will not get sick.

I raise 100s of hatchings every year. I never dry them after a soak, and I spray them frequently.

Justincl

Jakarta
Although i'm currently not using substrate like coco husk or coco coir i am planning on getting substrate when he/she gets a bit bigger as with the breeder he didnt use substrate so i am afraid of impaction but i will plan on getting substrate also how do you get springworms in the substrate and are they harmful for the tort? And how do you clean the substrate

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
Although i'm currently not using substrate like coco husk or coco coir i am planning on getting substrate when he/she gets a bit bigger as with the breeder he didnt use substrate so i am afraid of impaction but i will plan on getting substrate also how do you get springworms in the substrate and are they harmful for the tort? And how do you clean the substrate

To spot clean, pick up the poops and urates & contaminated substrate. If needed, replace with a little bit of fresh substrate. Also, having the suggested substrate will assist in keeping the humidity correct. I understand you're worried about impaction. Daily warm soaks will help the tortoise poop. Also substrate benefits out-weigh the risks. If you feed on a saucer, then the tortoise should have no problems with substrate impaction.

@Rijal spoke of springtails. They're tiny little hexapods (<6mm long) that eat decaying matter and fungi. They're used very commonly in terrariums and bioactive enclosures for lots of different reptle species. Springtails are custodians. They can be bought online from many different vendors. Nicely, springtails thrive in moist environments, which the enclosure shuld be anyways.

Justincl

Jakarta
To spot clean, pick up the poops and urates & contaminated substrate. If needed, replace with a little bit of fresh substrate. Also, having the suggested substrate will assist in keeping the humidity correct. I understand you're worried about impaction. Daily warm soaks will help the tortoise poop. Also substrate benefits out-weigh the risks. If you feed on a saucer, then the tortoise should have no problems with substrate impaction.

@Rijal spoke of springtails. They're tiny little hexapods (<6mm long) that eat decaying matter and fungi. They're used very commonly in terrariums and bioactive enclosures for lots of different reptle species. Springtails are custodians. They can be bought online from many different vendors. Nicely, springtails thrive in moist environments, which the enclosure shuld be anyways.
For substrate is it ok if i place it in a water dish so when he/she wants to hide in the substrate he/she could just go in there and would u reccomend forest bark or cocopeat (plantation soil) and i have considered on springtails but 1. Do they harm the sulcata? And 2. I read that they cant withstand high temps

Rijal

Jakarta, Indonesia
For substrate is it ok if i place it in a water dish so when he/she wants to hide in the substrate he/she could just go in there and would u reccomend forest bark or cocopeat (plantation soil) and i have considered on springtails but 1. Do they harm the sulcata? And 2. I read that they cant withstand high temps
Based on my experience, they will be there and establish their colony by a month by themselves as long as the substrate is kept moist. As far as I know, they are not harmful but some people just cannot stand seing tiny little bugs crawling around the enclosure.

Also, substrate is not for hiding, it is for helping you hold the humidity.