How often do baby sulcatas sleep during the day??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
shmily1605 said:
ekm5015 said:
CELLMASS said:
i got to put some pennies iin here. the sahara desert reaches temps of like 120 degrees. all reptiles need to heat there blood up. if you have low heat it could result in poor circulation. 95 dergress is good but lil babies in the sahara thrive in 120 degree conditions.

Yea...it gets to 120 degrees in the sahara, but that doesnt mean thats ideal. Sullies have learned to dig very deep tunnels to get out of the heat. 95-105 is ideal in my opinion for baskin and 80-85 for the rest of the pen.

I agree with you...Im no expert tho :p. The hatchlings stay underground which is cooler than 120 and offers the hydration they need. Since they are not out in the wild being hunted by predators, they see no need to be underground so it is our job to offer the humidity they need along with a temp they would see in their burrows. Just my thinking on it. I could be wrong. ;)

Shmily, you are not wrong. You are right.

LadyGreek said:
AHHHHH!!!!! All you Sulcata parents are REALLY tickling my toes about adopting my very own Sully baby!!! We are already thinking about getting another Tortoise, but I wasn't sure if I wanted another Greek or what, but with all these SUPER cute Sulcata babies around here it's making the choice rather easy. Plus we have a beautiful backyard it would LOVE!!!:D

Sorry I threw this comment in here....I just needed to vent. LOL!:p

Kendra*

Sulcatas are my favorite species and I wish everyone could experience the joy and fun they bring me, but you will likely not have a "nice" back yard for very long if there is a big sulcata loose back there. Although, my definition of nice is dirt and weeds with some big torts running loose. I guess it will just depend on how you define "nice".

pebbles

5 Year Member
My tortoise Pebbles sleeps half of the day to this day. He's a year in a half old now.

I just gotta saw your enclosure is AMAZING. I'd pay you to set one up like that for me no joke. haha. too bad im in SD. =//

Also just like a couple of other people said, 115 degrees is WAY too hot. I have my tortoise in 85-90 and he's been just fine like that. I researched and always read it should be between 80 and 90.

Goodluck. keep posting pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.