How often should I clean

Mosin

Location (City and/or State)
Us
How often should I clean his enclosure I usually Change the substrate and house it out every 1 to 2 months anything I should change

Happytort27

CA
I spot clean daily and change out the substrate every 6 months. I find that my substrate doesn’t mold or smell bad even after a long time because I clean it daily.

Are you housing a baby? What species?

Mosin

Us
I spot clean daily and change out the substrate every 6 months. I find that my substrate doesn’t mold or smell bad even after a long time because I clean it daily.

Are you housing a baby? What species?
What do u men by spot clean and he is 16 so not a baby

Happytort27

CA
I pick up any faeces and clean the bits of food that are scattered throughout the enclosure. I basically do anything to keep the enclosure clean.

Here’s our care sheet just in case you haven’t read it yet:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You got some problems there. Its a good thing you posted.

Hay should never be mixed in with substrate. It will mold and that's not good. If you have a non grass eating species, the hay is pointless anyway and serves no purpose.

Those water bowls are great for snakes and lizards, but they are literally death traps for tortoises. You need to remove that ASAP and replace it with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.

That small glass tank is not large enough to house a 16 year old of any species. Your tortoise needs a much large enclosure.

"Spot cleaning" means that you look for any spots of leftover food or feces and remove it daily. If you do this, you never have to clean and replace all of your substrate because it won't be "soiled". If you are soaking your tortoise regularly, which you should be, it will do its "business" in the soaking water, and the substrate will never be soiled.

Mosin

Us

Hay should never be mixed in with substrate. It will mold and that's not good. If you have a non grass eating species, the hay is pointless anyway and serves no purpose.

Those water bowls are great for snakes and lizards, but they are literally death traps for tortoises. You need to remove that ASAP and replace it with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.

That small glass tank is not large enough to house a 16 year old of any species. Your tortoise needs a much large enclosure.

"Spot cleaning" means that you look for any spots of leftover food or feces and remove it daily. If you do this, you never have to clean and replace all of your substrate because it won't be "soiled". If you are soaking your tortoise regularly, which you should be, it will do its "business" in the soaking water, and the substrate will never be soiled.
Ok I will replace that substrate and work on new stuff as fast as I can

Mosin

Us

Can u send me a water bowl o should het and the vet told me to soak him once a week is that good

Mosin

Us

I changed the substrate just last week should I do it soon again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can u send me a water bowl o should het and the vet told me to soak him once a week is that good
You can get terra cotta saucers at Home Depot for a few dollars. Get one for for and one for soaking and maybe a couple of extras in case one breaks.

Soaking an adult Russian once a week should be good. Maybe twice a week in hot weather. This is in addition to having a water bowl in the enclosure at all times.

I don't think you need to change the substrate, just get rid of the hay. I prefer orchid bark to coco coir. It works better for adult Russians.

Mosin

Us
You can get terra cotta saucers at Home Depot for a few dollars. Get one for for and one for soaking and maybe a couple of extras in case one breaks.

Soaking an adult Russian once a week should be good. Maybe twice a week in hot weather. This is in addition to having a water bowl in the enclosure at all times.

I don't think you need to change the substrate, just get rid of the hay. I prefer orchid bark to coco coir. It works better for adult Russians.
Ok ya my hey is also underground and I will get one and my tort had worms in his poop my and my dog ate it my tort is better now but I told my parents to take the dog to the vet

Mosin

Us
Yes? How can I help you? I didn't see a question in your previous post.
When should I change the hay it’s been there for 2 weeks and I’m going to find a good tortoise table for him that’s big

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When should I change the hay it’s been there for 2 weeks and I’m going to find a good tortoise table for him that’s big
If there is hay mixed in, it should be changed ASAP.

Mosin

Us
If there is hay mixed in, it should be changed ASAP.
K and is this bowl bowl good and should I give my tortoise a bath today he was hanging out with some of my friends outside I was with him and I think he was a little scared about all the attention he was getting so he Peed a lot so should I give him a bath.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
K and is this bowl bowl good and should I give my tortoise a bath today he was hanging out with some of my friends outside I was with him and I think he was a little scared about all the attention he was getting so he Peed a lot so should I give him a bath.
I woud soak him if he peed a lot. Every other day for a few days would be good.

That bowl isn't terrible, but a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate will work better, and they are cheap too.

Mosin

Us
I woud soak him if he peed a lot. Every other day for a few days would be good.

That bowl isn't terrible, but a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate will work better, and they are cheap too.
Should I soak him more then once a week or nah cause that’s what my vet told me