How often to feed?

William Garcia

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier, CA
I have two baby sulcata’s and wanted to know how many days a week do you feed them? I have heard 3 times a week and also twice a day? If someone can help out I would appreciate it. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put a big pile of food down daily. If its gone by the end of the day, I'll put a bigger quantity down the next day. If there's a lot left over at the end of the day I'll put a smaller quantity down the next day. They eat daily, all day long.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have two baby sulcata’s and wanted to know how many days a week do you feed them? I have heard 3 times a week and also twice a day? If someone can help out I would appreciate it. Thank you

I put a big pile of food down daily. If its gone by the end of the day, I'll put a bigger quantity down the next day. If there's a lot left over at the end of the day I'll put a smaller quantity down the next day. They eat daily, all day long.

I agree with Yvonne. A tortoise browses through the day... all day everyday. They won’t overeat. Feed every day... and if everything is eaten, feed more.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Similar to what I do. I throw out a couple cactus pads around his enclosure every day and maybe 2-3 cups of mazuri ( he has now taking a liking to finally. Soked) maybe three times a week with his "greens" at that time. Hugo is 8 yrs maybe 50 lbs. Now He grazes on his pad of brumuda grass sod that is just starting to yellow along with the dry native grasses. Because he is still grazing is why he is not getting greens every day.. still has a pile of brumuda hay that I put his greens on and he munches on occasionally.

Bee62

Germany
Tortoises should eat every day and sulcata babies need to eat every day because they grow so fast. Make sure that they always have enough crushed cuttle bone pieces to eat too. They need it for a healthy shell growth.