How old is 7ish by 5ish red foot?

Momo

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I'm getting another redfoot tommorow and I would like to know how old it is? Will it be old enough to sex?

Thanks

Killerrookie

By my guess work its probably almost fully grown or a juvenile. It would be easier worth a picture for sure.

Momo

5 Year Member
By my guess work its probably almost fully grown or a juvenile. It would be easier worth a picture for sure.

This is what their setup is!!! The enclosure is 24 x 24.

The second is mine for my two babies, that are 2.5ish inches. And its'c 42 x 25!

Attachments

• IMG_6069.JPG
    IMG_6069.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6027.JPG
    IMG_6027.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 48

Momo

5 Year Member

This is my only pic so far. I will have her/him tommorow, and will post some more.

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
My 3yr old redfoot is 7 inches. It all really depends on how they've been kept and grown. I'd guess it could be anywhere from 3-5yrs old

Momo

5 Year Member
My 3yr old redfoot is 7 inches. It all really depends on how they've been kept and grown. I'd guess it could be anywhere from 3-5yrs old

Ok Thanks Whitney, and how large is your indoor enclosure?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
My largest tortoise is in a 47x28 coffee table style enclosure. My tortoises also have an outside area for when whether permits.

Momo

5 Year Member
My largest tortoise is in a 47x28 coffee table style enclosure. My tortoises also have an outside area for when whether permits.

Wow that sounds very cool! DO you have a pic?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is what their setup is!!! The enclosure is 24 x 24.

The second is mine for my two babies, that are 2.5ish inches. And its'c 42 x 25!

It may be the angle of the picture but that tortoise looks far too big for that enclosure - I think the smallest enclosure recommended for bigger torts is 4' x 8' but they do need a lot of space. Have a look at the Enclosures thread for ideas. There is also a great caresheet for redfoots under Species Specific and I also found the Beginners Mistakes thread useful.

Also it isn't really advised to keep 2 torts together as one becomes dominant and will very subtly bully and harass the other as they get older and it can cause illness and even death. You may think they are playing or cuddling but they don't do that and are solitary creatures. If you do a search you will find out about it from more experienced people than me. Better safe than sorry I always think!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
In addition to what everyone else has said genetics and interaction between individuals can further confound aging tortoises via SCL. I have some fast growers and some slow growers, they're all within one-two years of each other but are 5-7.5 inch SCL.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433703999.038930.jpg

The two torts on the left are the same age, as are the two on the right. The two pairs (left vs right again) are ~1.5 years apart.

Food for thought...

I second that your enclosure looks a bit cramped for the tortoise and agree it could be the angle of the photo.

Last edited:

Momo

5 Year Member
View attachment 133052

The two torts on the left are the same age, as are the two on the right. The two pairs (left vs right again) are ~1.5 years apart.

Food for thought...

I second that your enclosure looks a bit cramped for the tortoise and agree it could be the angle of the photo.

Yes the enclosure is WAY too small! Here are som epics of her!

Attachments

• IMG_6076.JPG
    IMG_6076.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6082.JPG
    IMG_6082.JPG
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6078.JPG
    IMG_6078.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14