How to distinguish mature grass?

Siane

Location (City and/or State)
Korea
I am planning to grow oat grass in my home for Russian but I heard that mature grass is not god due to high protein.

I would like to know how to distinguish mature grass.

Lenght? Or growing period?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum!🐢💚

Russians aren’t a grass eating species, so unless it’s to plant as a flooring in their outdoor space, I wouldn’t worry about it🙂

Don’t suppose you’d mind sharing a photo of your full set up and tortoise? It’s lovely to see with new members!

Siane

Korea

Russians aren’t a grass eating species, so unless it’s to plant as a flooring in their outdoor space, I wouldn’t worry about it🙂

Don’t suppose you’d mind sharing a photo of your full set up and tortoise? It’s lovely to see with new members!
Hello Thank you for warm welcoming.
I read a post and it says eatting more grass is a good way to prevent bladder stone rather than eating green leafs so I wanted to give Organic oat grass :)

So I should not give them Grass? or it is okay as long as they like?

Siane

Korea

As @Littleredfootbigredheart mentioned, Russians aren't grass eaters but there is plenty of other edibles you could plant instead.

As @Littleredfootbigredheart mentioned, Russians aren't grass eaters but there is plenty of other edibles you could plant instead.
Thanks, I will find other foods :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello Thank you for warm welcoming.
I read a post and it says eatting more grass is a good way to prevent bladder stone rather than eating green leafs so I wanted to give Organic oat grass :)

So I should not give them Grass? or it is okay as long as they like?
Hi!
It's about protein/fibre contents in foods. High protein increases risks of stones formation. So clover or alfalfa, for example, should be fed in moderation. If they like tender oat grass - I see no problems offering it (check nutritional composition and compare to clover or hibiscus leaves). Older grass, higher in long fibers probably will pass mostly undigested.

Other key components in preventing bladder stones are hydration (soaks, moderate humidity, some watery foods in hot weather) and exercise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If your tortoise doesn't eat the grass, he will walk on it, shelter in it, pee and 💩 on it and burrow into it. But as substrate, it will quickly mold in humidity so would have to be constantly replaced.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It won’t hurt if he does eat it, but providing he has a good diet in other aspects, adequate hydration, soaks etc, it’s not a necessity🙂hope this helps!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Feel free to check out this thread! There’s a good diet link at the end!