How to measure your tortoise

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

This is the correct way to measure your tortoise. First you open your measuring tape and put it touching the wall and then out into the room. You place your tortoise with his face into the wall on top of the tape and that's it...easy isn't it? Here are a couple of pictures showing you just how to do it...The tortoise I used is a Russian, her name is Natasha because I had 2 and the males name was Boris...after the cartoon characters Boris and Natasha...
but the male got rehomed so Natasha is now alone and I changed her name to Fat Nat...:p
nef2gy.jpg

2w39low.jpg

v8eqvk.jpg

and her pretty little butt
2uq15ph.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: How to measure

joseydiann said:
So do you measure the tail and all or just the shell?

Just the carapace. From the front to the back in a straight line.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I probably show have used a different tortoise because my Fat Nat has a slightly rounded plastron so she kinda leans over to the side. I tried to use Bob, but he refused to have his face pushed into the wall even tho I bribed him with strawberries. I couldn't keep him pushed into the wall and take a picture all one handed...so I used my fat little Russian...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

That way works. I prefer calipers, and others prefer measuring over the plastron.

I now measure my Red-foots monthly straight-line, curved carapace, and weight. The 'curved' helps show growth when the straight slows down.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

If you want to ask questions about measuring a tortoise, please start a new thread. :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.