How to notice pyramiding by hatchlings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi,
I have two sulcata hatchlings and I was wondering how you can notice pyramiding. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
You can notice pyramiding by the bumpiness of the shell. A completely un-pyramided sully has a smooth shell (i.e., each scute lays flat side by side). A pyramided sully has raised scutes that do not lay flat.

Can you post a picture of the hatchlings? We can tell you if they''re pyramiding. Do you know how old they are?

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
mctlong said:
You can notice pyramiding by the bumpiness of the shell. A completely un-pyramided sully has a smooth shell (i.e., each scute lays flat side by side). A pyramided sully has raised scutes that do not lay flat.

Can you post a picture of the hatchlings? We can tell you if they''re pyramiding. Do you know how old they are?

OK, here are some pics. They are 14 months now. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_4791.JPG
    IMG_4791.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 354
  • IMG_4830.JPG
    IMG_4830.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 541
  • IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 544
  • IMG_4841.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 525

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yes, they both have minor pyramiding. Its more pronounced in the larger one. Its good that you catch it now while they're still young.

Tom and others have done extensive research on pyramiding in hatchling tortoises and have identified humidity as a key component in preventing it. Here's a good link that describes creating a hatchling environment with an inexpensive, humid hide box. Increasing humidity should help in smoothing out future shell growth on those two little hatchlings of yours:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63788.html#axzz1bv5qbbcz

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I have a humid hide in my enclosure, but they never use it. Do i have to place them in it? However, I don't think the humidity is a problem since I live in the Netherlands. The average humidity is here about 85-95%!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree, pyramiding has started. I would change the substrate for something that will hold humidity better, like coconut coir, or plain dirt. Soak them every day to every other day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Get the humdity up to 80% with temps no lower the 80. Toms threads are below in my post.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Btw, I also noticed a line on the bigger one's shell. Is that normal? You can see it on the pictures. It is exactly in the middle on top of his shell.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Menno said:
Btw, I also noticed a line on the bigger one's shell. Is that normal? You can see it on the pictures. It is exactly in the middle on top of his shell.

Are you talking about the dark coloration running down the center of the scutes? Of so, then yes, thats normal. Its just cosmetic and shouldn't cause any health concerns.

Menno said:
I have a humid hide in my enclosure, but they never use it. Do i have to place them in it? However, I don't think the humidity is a problem since I live in the Netherlands. The average humidity is here about 85-95%!

Yes, place them in the hide box every evening. They'll probably crawl out the first several days and thats okay, but eventually, they'll get used to it. As Barb pointed out, make sure the enclosure is warm, at least 80 degrees. A cold humid hide can make a hatchling sick.

You're very lucky to have such high natural humidity. Keeping up humidity is my biggest struggle because where I'm at natural humidity is close to nil. :D

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I found two different hide boxes. Which one is the best do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20130322_152940.jpg
    IMG_20130322_152940.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 39

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can guarantee you that the humidity in that dry tank under your heat bulbs is NOT 85-95%, even if that is what it is outside your house. All of our home heating and cooling systems tend to dry the air in our homes out too. I KNOW your humidity in that enclosure is not that high, because if it was, they would not look like that.

BTW, at 14 months, they are not hatchlings any more. Also your babies are very small for 14 months, which is also very common when they are raised too dry. How much do they weigh? I have some 10 month olds that are over 700 grams for a comparison. I feed them mostly grass and weeds, and I'm not trying to power feed or grow them fast. Most days, they just graze on their own in their outside enclosure. Remember for small sulcatas we need to be simulating the African rainy season, NOT a desert, because the rainy season is when they hatch and begin growing in the wild. It should be hot, wet, humid, they should be soaked daily and shell sprayed with plain water at least 3-4 times a day until they get to around 6-8 inches and are SMOOTH. If they are lumpy, I would continue the wet routine longer and intensify it.

The links in my signature are full of info that will help you. Just click and read.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
True, they are very small for that age, but I just have them 3 weeks now. The guy from the pet store told me they were 14 months. The bigger one is 10.5cm and about 130gr. The small one is 7,5cm and about 90gr. I think they have been very neglected. When I got them, they were even lighter.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would say your substrate is OK. Yes there is some Pyramiding. Keep your humidity up to 80% and above in their enclosure. Give them a good diet. Lots of exercise, and plenty of natural sunshine. This will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.