1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How to post images..?

Discussion in 'Site Help and Feedback' started by Damien Szkatulski, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Damien Szkatulski

Damien Szkatulski Member

I dunno how to turn an imagine into a URL lol
  2. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I use the computer and the app on iPhone. With both, I simply click to "upload a file" on the bottom margin as you are typing a post, and then browse my photos to select the photo I want. I then select to use full image and it is inserted as part of my post.
  3. Damien Szkatulski

Damien Szkatulski Member

IMG_1002.JPG Thank you!
    Gillian Moore likes this.
  4. Markw84

Damien: Nice picture. Glad you were able to figure out how to post a picture.

You young tortoise is just starting to pyramid. It is very young, so plenty of time to correct and get proper growth started now.

I have read your other thread on asking for "nitpicking". It was great you provided so much detail, but I am afraid most of what you are doing is needing a change. Temperatures need to never drop below 80°. A basking area of around 95°. Humidity of 80%. And please read the posts on raising sulcatas and correct the diet ASAP. Most all of the items you listed are not good.

So for the best start - please read these posts. Two different ways of saying the same thing. One by Tom and one by me. I wrote mine to apply to any tortoise I call a "monsoon tortoise". That definitely includes sulcatas.

Read these and come back with questions.

AND... WELCOME to the forum and Sulcata keeping!

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/
    Maro2Bear likes this.
  5. Damien Szkatulski

Damien Szkatulski Member

I understand this is a temporary setup I'll be getting a bigger cage and a headlamp this week. Any tips on pyramiding?
  6. Damien Szkatulski

Damien Szkatulski Member

Also I am planning on getting a larger tank, better lighting, etc. Sometime Later this week. Is this okay temporarily or should I change it sooner? (These are general questions im reading the posts RN)
  7. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Active Member

You need to change it as soon as possible. And also, what is that substrate? It looks very dry.
  8. Markw84

In providing the proper enclosure - To me if we are talking urgency and inability to do everything at once:

First. THE FIRST DAY. Get the "climate" correct. I think of it as the 80/80 rule = It is absolutely necessary to have proper temperatures and humidity correct as that allows for proper metabolism and health. So at least provide a space where temps never dip below 80° and humidity stays at 80% and give a basking area with a high temp in the 95°-100° range. This allows for the tortoise to maintain a correct core body temperature and the immune system to work.

Second. THE FIRST WEEK. Get the lighting correct. A good daylight period that is longer than the night period. 13-14 hours of good "sunlight" type lighting with some shade retreats. Ideally, a good 5500k ambient with a CRI of at least 90. A DARK nighttime period with a secure hiding spot.

Third. THE FIRST WEEK. Get the "landscape" correct. A proper substrate that holds moisture, does not mold, and does not pose an injury or impaction risk. I don't think anything comes close to fine grade orchid bark for this. Put in some potted plants that will do well in the enclosure to provide sight barriers and overhanging branches/fronds to hide beneath and partial shade for light gradients. A hide to go into. A "watering hole" big enough for the tortoise to walk into and easy to get in and out of.

Fourth. WITHIN A MONTH. Proper UVB exposure. If outdoors is possible with proper temps - at least a few hours a week. If not, a good UVB light mounted correctly.

Fifth. WITHIN 6 MONTHS. Get it to the size the tortoise should really have. If the above is correct, a smaller enclosure will not hurt your tortoise in the short term. But for proper health, bone and muscle development, gastro intestinal heath, as well a stable mental state, a tortoise will need enough room to walk, explore and exercise.
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  9. Damien Szkatulski

Damien Szkatulski Member

I have all of this done. Other than the live plant hide (I have a decoration that gives shade) and a bigger cage,(I have it but not enough substrate)
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  10. Damien Szkatulski

Damien Szkatulski Member

I got temps and uvb setup. Larger habitat either this afternoon or tomorrow. It looked dry because I wasn't misting it at the time. He stays at 80 with a 100 hide. Soaked 20 mins every morning and afternoon.
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  11. Alaskamike

Alaskamike Well-Known Member

Welcome. Silly Sully’s are loads of fun. They love to make us continuously grow their environment with them.

Good fortune to you