how to ship Bert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
So, Bert has found a great new home in Florida. I am very happy about this and will be a bit jelous when I am freezing my butt off in Alaska. But hey, He is the important one.
Now i have seen a couple sites on shipping, but am a little confused about one thing. One says to put him in a pillow case another says not too cause they cant right them selves in a bag. however apparently you dont want alot of movement durring transport and this prevents it. But what about air? holes will be put in the first box of course, but wouldnt putting him in a cloth bag of sorts restrict air flow as well?
he isnt a hatchling, he is about 8". i would be concerned about usuing peanuts cause durring the shuffle they could hinder more than help. I will use them for the bigger box the smaller will go into.
I also plan on soaking him real good the day before i pack him up and of course it will be overnite. just not so sure what to use to keep him comfertable and restrict movement so he isnt bouncing around in there.
please help!:(

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
Sara,

Take a look here: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Safely-Ship-A-Tortoise-Or-Turtle

sara said:
So, Bert has found a great new home in Florida. I am very happy about this and will be a bit jelous when I am freezing my butt off in Alaska. But hey, He is the important one.
Now i have seen a couple sites on shipping, but am a little confused about one thing. One says to put him in a pillow case another says not too cause they cant right them selves in a bag. however apparently you dont want alot of movement durring transport and this prevents it. But what about air? holes will be put in the first box of course, but wouldnt putting him in a cloth bag of sorts restrict air flow as well?
he isnt a hatchling, he is about 8". i would be concerned about usuing peanuts cause durring the shuffle they could hinder more than help. I will use them for the bigger box the smaller will go into.
I also plan on soaking him real good the day before i pack him up and of course it will be overnite. just not so sure what to use to keep him comfertable and restrict movement so he isnt bouncing around in there.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
randomellis said:
Sara,

Take a look here: http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Safely-Ship-A-Tortoise-Or-Turtle

sara said:
thank you, i will go there now, think i have seen this one, but i will take all the info i can get:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the pillow case method. If you nestle the pillow-cased tortoise in a bed of packing peanuts, there's no way he will be upside down unless the whole box it turned over. You fill the whole box up with packing peanuts and the tortoise can't turn over inside the box. If you punch a few holes in the cardboard box, there will be enough air flow through the peanuts and through the pillow case for him to breathe. I've shipped tortoises over 10lbs this way and they all made it ok...full grown hingeback tortoises, box turtles, big water turtles...all were ok.

I'm so glad that you were able to find a good home for Bert. Good luck in your new place.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
emysemys said:
I use the pillow case method. If you nestle the pillow-cased tortoise in a bed of packing peanuts, there's no way he will be upside down unless the whole box it turned over. You fill the whole box up with packing peanuts and the tortoise can't turn over inside the box. If you punch a few holes in the cardboard box, there will be enough air flow through the peanuts and through the pillow case for him to breathe. I've shipped tortoises over 10lbs this way and they all made it ok...full grown hingeback tortoises, box turtles, big water turtles...all were ok.

I'm so glad that you were able to find a good home for Bert. Good luck in your new place.
Wow, full grown? how much did it cost to over nite them? not that i care how much, i'd send bert first class in a velevet box on his own jet if i could!
So, i could put him in a pillow case, tie off, put him in a box a little bigger than he is, fill that box with peanuts. Put that box into a larger box and fill that with peanuts. Like that? and of course put holes in the first box. so even in a bag he will get pleanty of air?
also, its getting cold here. should i put one of those hand warmer things in the second box , or do you think he will be fine?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If your shipping with UPS, than look at the over-night temperatures for the day your planning on shipping. If the over-night temperatures are under 50F, than yes I'd add a hand warmer to the second box. I also only ship on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays. That is in case something happens and they can't deliver next day. So if you shipped on Thursday and it got delayed it wouldn't arrive till the next Monday (not good) as they don't deliver on the weekend (unless instructed to deliver on Saturday for an extra charge).
Here is where Bert most likely will spend the night if sent UPS. http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USKY1096

Danny

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
egyptiandan said:
If your shipping with UPS, than look at the over-night temperatures for the day your planning on shipping. If the over-night temperatures are under 50F, than yes I'd add a hand warmer to the second box. I also only ship on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays. That is in case something happens and they can't deliver next day. So if you shipped on Thursday and it got delayed it wouldn't arrive till the next Monday (not good) as they don't deliver on the weekend (unless instructed to deliver on Saturday for an extra charge).
Here is where Bert most likely will spend the night if sent UPS. http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USKY1096

Danny
i was thinking Fed Ex. is U.P. S. better? he will be going from wyoming to Florida. Its cold here, so i guess it would be safest to put in a couple small hand warmers. Thats a good weather check site. it wont be for about a week yet. we are to get snow next week.And i definately plan on sending him out on a monday.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You cannot ship live reptiles Fed Ex without being certified, and it is much more complicated than it is worth for one tort, and takes some time as well. UPS is fine, I have received several through them. If you choose Next Day Air by 10 AM, and wait until the last minute to drop him off, he will only be in the box for about 14 hours.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Well, looks like U.P.S. it will be. 14 hours sounds good. He sleeps that much or more anyway every day!:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Good luck to you Sara. I hope we get to see pictures of Bert basking in sunny Florida.....and thank you.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
terryo said:
Good luck to you Sara. I hope we get to see pictures of Bert basking in sunny Florida.....and thank you.
lucky guy is gonna be living in a whole community or red foots (7). he's goona be outside more and socializing, and maybe one day be a daddy! I got real lucky. thanks for the luck, i will feel better once he gets there safe and sound:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.