How to Sterilize soil?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How do you sterilize soil? Asking because I'm interested in doing so.
You don't. You buy it that way from the store, and it isn't really "sterile", it just doesn't have a bunch of additives. Soil shouldn't be used under tortoises because you can't know what composted material it is made from, and because its very messy.

New York
How do you sterilize soil? Asking because I'm interested in doing so.
The easiest at home way to "sterilize" is by baking. 300 for 30min, same as boiling water. As Tom said it's not a good idea to use commercial topsoil because both "organic" and "sterile" are just buzz words for companies and you never really know what you're going to get. I use "organic" garden soil for tort food plants and have found glass shards multiple times in the dirt. A bit of extreme example but any plant material is "organic" but the material could be poisonous to torts. There's no way to know what material your going to get. Even with mulch (better alternative than soil) I would recomend baking any substrate you bring into your home. If any insect eggs are in the substrate they will take over your house in a few weeks.

gneesy

california
The easiest at home way to "sterilize" is by baking. 300 for 30min, same as boiling water. As Tom said it's not a good idea to use commercial topsoil because both "organic" and "sterile" are just buzz words for companies and you never really know what you're going to get. I use "organic" garden soil for tort food plants and have found glass shards multiple times in the dirt. A bit of extreme example but any plant material is "organic" but the material could be poisonous to torts. There's no way to know what material your going to get. Even with mulch (better alternative than soil) I would recomend baking any substrate you bring into your home. If any insect eggs are in the substrate they will take over your house in a few weeks.

I am going with orchid bark or reptibark with coco coir as my substrate, would the rule of 300 for 30 still apply? Should I add water to it first?

My little guy arrives Thursday and I just don't want bugs in the house.

New York
Anything loose in a bag, orchard bark, that has moisture can carry bugs. Usually just spring tails which usually stay within enclosure. Gnats/fruit flys are the horrible one. If you get dehydrated/condensed coco coir unluckily to have eggs, loose in bag with moisture, possibility.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I always use boiling water to soak the condensed coco coir blocks in and not had any bug problems so far (touch wood!)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
With repot bark you do get spring tails, I may be mistaken but they can help eat decaying plant material and poop, but don’t rely on them to do the job.